wasps in hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david.d

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have just checked my hives and found 5 wasps inside and a few around the outside what action do i need to take or is this normal

You need to reduce the size of your Hive entrance.
Thus making it easier for your Bees to keep out intruders :)

2 in one and 3 in another?

Strength of these colonies, details of current entrance sizes, and any other relevant information would help to get a sensible assessment of your situation.

It is not normal to find wasps (alive) inside hives. Well come to think of it, it happens quite a lot at this time of the year - so just depends on how you interpret 'normal'.

Make sure there are no other ways in, and reduce the entrance to a minimum, if this has not already been done.

We (well I do) await further information.

Regards, RAB

Noticed today that they can easilt negotiate the escape cones (?) on a WBC, thus circumventing the guards at the front. Blocked mine up, anything trapped in there can try its luck via the crown board

Could they have entered the hive while you had it in pieces? I saw 2 wasps dive into a super I had placed on top of upturned roof during an examination today.

I am new to bee keeping and had the entrance fully open, I have now put in the entrance block. This is a relativly new colony hived in early june. There is not much honey but the colony seems to be strong. Two weeks ago I put a super on but only have bees on 4 froames and only a little honey on one. The brood chamber is however well stocked with brood and capped honey

What do you mean by a wasp trap how do I go about setting one in place.

Well, if you did not have your entrance blocks in place it is hardly surprising that wasps have gained access.

Reduced entrances should sort the problem. And do not hang around when manipulating as wasps and robber bees are on the prowl. More to the point - Do you need to manipulate?

just search the threads, there are plenty about wasp traps and how to make and not to put them on hive roofs.

Wasp trap-
Empty plastic bottle (Milk, coke etc)- sticky parcel tape around lower 6" . Make a 3 sided cut about 1" each cut- 3" above the tape- like a letter box, hinge uppermost. Fill with jammy water to the level of the sticky tape. Smear jam under the screw lid and a little inside the flap you made. Leave to the side of a hive. Bees will ignore as they dont 'do' jam. Wasps will enter in flap and not find exit.
I have 2 per hive!!!

Also I leave a small pot of jam in my shed - when about 20 wasps in there I spray- no bees near so no risk to them - getting a floor of dead wasps.

And to all those who feel wasps have a life entitlement too - there are still plenty around;)

I have been talking about this problem with a master bee keeper who reccomends a product called waspbane. I have ordered some of these wasp traps and will update you on their success.
Has anyone on the forum used this or any other wasp trap and if so how successfull were they

I have been talking about this problem with a master bee keeper who reccomends a product called waspbane. I have ordered some of these wasp traps and will update you on their success.
Has anyone on the forum used this or any other wasp trap and if so how successfull were they

I bought one of these last year when I was suffering devastating attacks on my hives. I did not find it any more effective than jam jars with jam solution inside and pierced lids - therefore a total waste of money.

This year I have made my own traps out of pop bottles with the top third cut off and inverted to form a funnel jammed into the main body firmly. Inside I have put a bait of over-ripe fruit and cider which apparently is very attractive to wasps which allegedly are alcoholic !!! I am finding these quite effective and cheaper than the over-priced Wasp Bane.

Back