Wasps in eves

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Curly green fingers

Hi , some clients of mine have a very active wasp nest in there eves , they have been finding wasps in there bedroom and under pillows etc..
Advice on sealing the holes up in brickwork pls or what could I do ?
Cheers mark.

Buy some powder and apply, earn some good will

Whatever you do don't block up any holes. The wasps will simply chew another hole which might well be through the ceiling into internal rooms then there'll be some fun!

Wait till it's gone in the next few weeks then hoover it all out
E

Buy some powder and apply, earn some good will
What powder?
Whatever you do don't block up any holes. The wasps will simply chew another hole which might well be through the ceiling into internal rooms then there'll be some fun!
Thanks for the advice I won't be blocking any holes then
Wait till it's gone in the next few weeks then hoover it all out
E

I would have to take bricks out to hoover it out its right in the corbelling of the roof below the eves , there using an entrance spaning about a foot.

any good hardware store will sell wasp killer power, or buy on ebay loads here

<snip>
I would have to take bricks out to hoover it out its right in the corbelling of the roof below the eves , there using an entrance spaning about a foot.

Not necessarily. If you don't want to use a pesticide which in this case might not work anyway, you could set up a vacuum and hoover up the workers. It would take about 2 - 3 hours to get rid of the workers. If you wanted to try this then choke of the entrance to a hole of about 2-3 inches in width and then station the vacuum head at the hole and simply hoover up the returning and leaving foragers. When I do this I use a Henry vacuum. I remove the dust bag and pour about 5-10 litres of soapy water into the Henry which helps retain and kill the vacuumed wasps. Simple.

The hoover approach sounds better there's enough pesticides around thanks I'll suggest I do that .

Nippon ant powder is approved for wasps

Hi , some clients of mine have a very active wasp nest in there eves , they have been finding wasps in there bedroom and under pillows etc..
Advice on sealing the holes up in brickwork pls or what could I do ?
Cheers mark.

Wilko sells wasp killer powder. £1.25 for a large container. Works brilliantly and is exactly the same as the branded ones at five times the price, 0.05% permetherin. Kills them over a few days as its transferred around the colony.

What powder?

Thanks for the advice I won't be blocking any holes then

Ficam W. Obtainable from eBay.
Mix with water and apply generously around and into the entrance using a garden sprayer. Read the hazard sheet and avoid breathing the mist. Just be aware the small sachets can be sufficient for several nests so mix part quantity. A quarter should suffice for even a large nest.
Allow a couple of days for total effect.
Professional exterminator tend to use Ficam P which requires a powder applicator.

Ficam W will not work in this situation. Even the success of Ficam D is questionable.

Set the vaccum cleaner up as suggested closing down the entrance / exit a bit, leave another part of the entrance and blow smoke in would hurry the job up a bit.

Ficam W will not work in this situation. Even the success of Ficam D is questionable.

It worked for me. Applied to the entrance and the wasps carried/walked it inside. A few days and no more wasps going in or out. Maybe I should tell the dead wasps to stop fooling about and get back to work?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back