Wasps in December

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DorsetNewBee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I wonder if anyone can give me advice? One of my three colonies appears to have wasps going into it and when I had a quick look under the roof (I have a brood and a half covered by a see-through crown board) I saw some more up in the super. No sign of bees in what was a thriving colony with rather feisty bees. There may well be a perfectly healthy colony down in the brood box but I don't like to disturb them so I suppose I will have to wait until spring to see if they have survived or not. We had no trouble with wasps in late summer, though the previous year was a different story, but I did anyway put a wasp excluder across the hive entrance two months ago. I treated for varroa in September and they seemed to be in good shape. They have had syrup and now they have fondant so they won't have been starving. I have two other hives (all WBC) and they seem to be OK. I was wondering a. what the chances are that this colony will be OK, b. if there is anything I could do about it right now and c. what mistake I might have made so that I can try to avoid this happening again? I would be very grateful for any suggestions. Thank you.

Take off the lifts and put your ear to the side of the brood. ( no need to tap). Do you hear bees?
If they are there just not flying maybe shut them in for a couple of days. Wasps will go elsewhere
When was the last time you saw bees coming and going from the hive?

It is of concern if they are entering at will as the colony if there is one remaining is slowly being robbed of stores.

Take off the lifts and put your ear to the side of the brood. ( no need to tap). Do you hear bees?
If they are there just not flying maybe shut them in for a couple of days. Wasps will go elsewhere
When was the last time you saw bees coming and going from the hive?
Thank you, I will try that.

Thank you, I will try that.
Oh, and I last saw bees flying in and out about ten days ago but that is partly because we have had terrible weather but also because I have been away. So I can't be completely accurate about when they were last flying.

Your colony is dead or dying I think. When I have seen this happen, and investigated, I've found a drone laying colony or similar. Probably nothing you did, just happens.
Thank you so much for your reply, I don't hold out much hope for it but will just have to wait and see.

A stethoscope is a handy piece of kit, as is a thermometer. If the colony is alive you can hear them (especially after a light tap - but don’t tap with the stethoscope on the hive.🙂). Crown-board (under insulation) will be somewhat warmer than ambient - often obvious from feeling with your hand. If on an OMF, a view on your phone may be enlightening (a bit difficult with WBCs). An inspection tray inserted for a couple of days should have some decapping debris visible if the mesh is full width.

Boston Bees may well be right in his assessment of the situation.

Latest posts

Back