Wasps again

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viridens

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
4. Experimenting with Warres after 30 years of Nationals
The temperature here has just crept up to 2 degrees, and not surprisingly there is no bee activity. But there is a thin but steady stream of wasps entering the hives unchallenged. I will go and squish what I can, but they just keep coming! Grrr!

The temperature here has just crept up to 2 degrees, and not surprisingly there is no bee activity. But there is a thin but steady stream of wasps entering the hives unchallenged. I will go and squish what I can, but they just keep coming! Grrr!
Just close the entrance?

But there is a thin but steady stream of wasps entering the hives unchallenged.

Same here, but mine are still on severely reduced entrances so most of the hives are seeing them off. Are your entrances still at their narrowest setting?

If it really is becoming an issue in your opinion open up and centre the frames containing the cluster at the front door. If we don’t get any hard frosts wasp activity can carry on well into December. I had a nest in soffit outside bedroom window some years back. I let them be until a few really dopy 1s crawled into the bed and one night got stung. That was about 10-12 of December.

I noticed a very determined invasion of one of my hives on the farm. I fear that they have destroyed the the colony despite the entrance being reduced. Big wasps too.....NOT hornets though.....before anyone says!

That is so dispiriting
I‘m pretty sure I would be experiencing the same had I not spent time tracking down three wasp nests. I was having a torrid time with them, but once the nests had been introduced to my weed wand flame gun, things became under control again.
Pray for some really frosty weather.

Just a suggestion, I don't know if this would work for you...

I have noticed wasps seem to attack most in the morning. It may be worth blocking the entrance in the evening, then unblocking late morning.

The hope is that the wasps will have less time to build momentum for their daily raid before the bees become active.

I had a hive getting raided in September 2019, and this helped out a lot, but if you have very little/no bee activity than this probably wont help so much.

Obviously the best solution is to kill the wasps. Any killed now should not be replaced. It is possible if you just block the entrance as Erichalfbee suggested, the wasps may quickly starve without a source of food from your hives. I would suggest putting an alcohol trap outside the hives when they are shut. Hopeful when the hungry wasps cannot get in the hive they will find the alcohol instead.

I personally do not favor Ian123's approach (sorry Ian). I would not want to disturb a cluster and move frames this time of year. I am not saying he is wrong or that it will not work. Just that I would prefer to try fix the problem without disturbing the bees.

That is so dispiriting
I‘m pretty sure I would be experiencing the same had I not spent time tracking down three wasp nests. I was having a torrid time with them, but once the nests had been introduced to my weed wand flame gun, things became under control again.
Pray for some really frosty weather.

Clever you. Wasps are still mithering hives in my home apiary. Difficult to know how much food they are stealing but I sense that some hives are prematurely light on hefting. (Round-robin email today from NBU warning us all of prevalence of starvation).
I have searched for wasps' nests but have failed to find any.

I spent several hours trying to find the nest(s) and went round adjacent fields, up and down the roadside hedges, interrogated neighbours and ended up finding one in my garden, not far from the hives! All three I found were in the ground and very busy.
I think Bobba’s advice is very sound.

Thanks for your suggestions, and my sympathy to fellow sufferers. These are Warre hives with solid floors, well propolised and pretty airtight. The entrances are closed down to a bee space or two, and there is a stream of moisture on the landing board each morning -a mini ice rink today. I have put mesh over the entrances for the night.

Today I deployed bottle traps, and my fingers and thumbs were busy too and so there will be a hundred or so less of the buggers tomorrow. I have again searched in vain for nests, but there are walled and fenced gardens nearby.

I have to admire jasper anatomy. Flying from dawn to dusk at temperatures near to freezing. Fast and crafty dodging when sneaking in to hives, wrestling with several bees and flying off when ejected, and needing considerable force to squash, making off after a near-miss prod that would flatten a bee.

I noticed a very determined invasion of one of my hives on the farm. I fear that they have destroyed the the colony despite the entrance being reduced. Big wasps too.....NOT hornets though.....before anyone says!

Big wasps ? could they be queen wasps looking for somewhere warm and dry to hibernate I wonder.

Thanks for your suggestions, and my sympathy to fellow sufferers. These are Warre hives with solid floors, well propolised and pretty airtight. The entrances are closed down to a bee space or two, and there is a stream of moisture on the landing board each morning -a mini ice rink today. I have put mesh over the entrances for the night.

Today I deployed bottle traps, and my fingers and thumbs were busy too and so there will be a hundred or so less of the buggers tomorrow. I have again searched in vain for nests, but there are walled and fenced gardens nearby.

I have to admire jasper anatomy. Flying from dawn to dusk at temperatures near to freezing. Fast and crafty dodging when sneaking in to hives, wrestling with several bees and flying off when ejected, and needing considerable force to squash, making off after a near-miss prod that would flatten a bee.
Try a. soapy water spray - in a garden sprayer set so there’s a jet of water. I took hundreds out that way in the Summer and it saves the mess on your gloves. It’s really satisfying if you get them when they’re flying😀
Sad man that I am, I actually told the bees “another one gone, girls” each time I took one out.
I may seek help once lockdown is ended....

I have a load of enricos tunnel entrances fitted to hives at the home apiary and it looks like a few wasps have learnt to get in. I am really hoping the cold temps for the last few days will help with the problem or I might have to move some hives to another apiary.

Not seen any for a couple of weeks but today it is mild and they are back in force at my one weak hive. Done all I can except move it. I will take the hit if it succumbs

Latest posts

Back