Wasps…will this work?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve bought some ducting so ready to go if I need it, but actually, having kept an eye on the nuc over the last couple of days it seems ok. Maybe they just needed to get used to the new entrance (and new box). There don’t seem to be wasps getting in anymore…I’ll keep a close eye on it though
I've used something similar in the past when I housed a very vulnerable hive in my greenhouse over winter. The wasps would enter the tunnel but then come back out a few seconds later, they didn't seem to ingress and eventually gave up. Keep watching of they seen to be going in, chances are you'll see them about turn pretty quickly. Fingers crossed for you

That's a new one on me, as at the most they are only there for a few days, or get taken home every night to refresh. can imagine some interesting scenes with bees allowed to fly freely
There has never been an issue other than the occasional bee trying to get into the hive directly but they are so keen to get in, they are oblivious to everyone around them. It's actually a good opportunity to show people the bees aren't interested in them, but it only ever happens with one or two bees if it happens at all.

The observation hives are always set up at the back of the tent, the entrance to the tube set very high up (at least 7 feet) out back, well away from the tent entrance at the front. It makes for some good watching for guests as you can see them coming and going from the tube and bringing in pollen. Very popular at the Highland Show.

This is the hive - I think they are not taking the queen away from the other hive, I think they keep a special nuc for this - and I gather the tube has a rope inside as well to help the bees grab on. As you can see, the tube goes out of the tent but then what you can't see is that it is as the back (no foot traffic) and 7 or 8 feet off the ground. It is a 3 frame hive. It's a fantastic tool for shows.

Attachments

• 98708f65-21d7-4049-8aca-079501dbac73.JPG
    98708f65-21d7-4049-8aca-079501dbac73.JPG
    377.2 KB · Views: 0
Been watching videos of someone creating an underfloor entrance, with two pieces of wood.......and another video of the plastic piping at the entrance.

What’s the deal with these methods and wasps?

Underfloor entrance - won’t wasps work out the underfloor entrance?

Or are wasps not as agile as bees, and can’t manage manoeuvring upwards?

Plastic piping - are they able to get into the piping?

Or does the piping just give Bees a better Chance of fighting them off?

Underfloor entrance - won’t wasps work out the underfloor entrance?
of course they will, but then they have to pop their heads up into the hive to be met with two rows of guard bees - one rank each side of the entrance slot, also, because they are climbing up and into the hive they are at a physical disadvantage

Plastic piping - are they able to get into the piping?
I'll add to JBM's post
Yes but there will be a line of guard bees along it
It's all very well reducing the entrance but such an entrance can be guarded by only a few bees. It's of little importance if there are few wasps but if the attack is significant a few guard bees will be overwhelmed

I'll add to JBM's post
Yes but there will be a line of guard bees along it
It's all very well reducing the entrance but such an entrance can be guarded by only a few bees. It's of little importance if there are few wasps but if the attack is significant a few guard bees will be overwhelmed
I see.

So, when putting the piping in at the entrance......

Does the piping need to be a certain length?

And how far inside the hive would the piping need to go, for it to be effective, yet not be a hindrance to bees exiting?

Latest posts

Back