Waspinator

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Has anybody tried one of these?

http://www.waspinator.co.uk/home.html

A quote from the FAQs
"Beekeepers use Waspinator to protect their hives from wasp attack. There are many recent studies alarmed at the decline in the bee population and the catastrophic effect this could have on our lives - almost the entire food supply chain is reliant on pollination by bees at source, even meat and dairy which is fed by bee pollinated food."

No, don't know if it works for wasps, I guess it works for profits :biggrinjester: So works on the basis of self regulating population density, so it'll only do any good if it is up before queens make nests and given this 350m activity radius from a nest - posted elsewhere - you'd need one at your apiary and then an overlapping ring of them about 200m out from the apiary being protected. Pop bottles and orange juice looking attractive I think!

I already have the bottles made from a recipe on here. They work very wellbee-smilliebee-smillie.
Just curious if anybody had tried one. In retrospect I imagine there's nobody on this forum daft enough.

I already have the bottles made from a recipe on here. They work very wellbee-smilliebee-smillie.
Just curious if anybody had tried one. In retrospect I imagine there's nobody on this forum daft enough.

Making one is worth a try ,all that is needed is a crumpled piece of chicken wire with one loop pulled out to use as a hanger ! then the lot covered with paper mache'. Painted in dull autumny colours , this should keep the wasps away from the apiary etc.

John Wilkinson

Pulling your leg :leaving:
I went as far as the wire frame but never completed the project !!
I don't think I will bee-smillie

John Wilkinson

My mum brought me a couple last year after seeing the trouble I was having with one of my nucs, I was unsure of their effectiveness until I saw aload of wasps resting on one until they returned to the hive, at that point I was convinced there were crap!

Although I put them up after the trouble started they might be more effective as a preemptive measure.

This year I'll be sticking to conventional traps.

Si.

AsK HM he made some last year from balloons coated in paper mache and painted with grey paint

Hey Kevin....i never made nothing....you should know better than that....they were crap.

Sorry Pete not all of us have the luxury of slaves to do our work for us and that includes experiments, we have to WORK for ourselves
Kev

Latest posts

Back