Waspinator

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Compostcritter

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Has anyone tried the Waspinator to deter wasps in summer? I work at the Silverspoon warehouse occasionally and they have highly recommended it ( no I do not own the business ). I am buying a few to deter queen wasps from building nests near the hive, as I lost a weak hive to wasps last year after a late July swarm.
Let me know your thoughts :)

Has anyone tried the Waspinator to deter wasps in summer? I work at the Silverspoon warehouse occasionally and they have highly recommended it ( no I do not own the business ). I am buying a few to deter queen wasps from building nests near the hive, as I lost a weak hive to wasps last year after a late July swarm.
Let me know your thoughts :)
have you got any more info on the waspinator? I lost 3 weak hives to wasps this year. how does it work?

Well other half bought me one, had it up last season and although plenty of wasps around didnt have any issue in that apiary. Year before big issues. Also had no waspinator to put at out apiaries and all had some or more wasp issues. Co-incidence??????

just a thought, if you dont mind replacing them after wet weather I would think a blown up and tied brown paperbag would be as useful.

Compostcritter,

Pop it in the search box. There a is a page of previous threads. Go and have a laugh!

I put one out last year and it worked in the sense that it killed loads of wasps (also seems to be good at getting blowflies) but although I had no problems with wasp raids, I couldn't say for sure that it was down to the Waspinator achieving a 100% kill-rate for wasp scouts as advertised. I'm waiting for someone to design a humane trap for robber bees...

davidstacey42,

Somehow I think you are not talking about the same thing. How exactly do these things kill wasps? :)

My mistake - I've got a Waspbane (it's got the word 'wasp' in it which confused me)....

Can someone invent a Hornynator, please - Asian and European :biggrinjester:

Wasp paranoia has started early this year.

Weak colonies in wasp season = bad beekeeping.

But at last, a humane wasp deterrent. ...

Last edited:
Weak colonies in wasp season = bad beekeeping.

Harsh MB. Even if getting to the point that you had a weak colony represented bad beekeeping (to quote) that's not a reason to sit back and watch you error escalate is it! That would make it 'even worse beekeeping' and at some point I bet we've all been there, even you ......

In point of fact I ended up being called out to a couple of small cast swarms in Sept and last year that was still the height of the wasp season (in Yorks anyway). I chose not to combine. I ended up putting coke bottle traps under each of the stands with late swarms on, combined with a very reduced entrance seemed to do the trick. Queens mated, some build up in October and feed up plus fondant protection. Both swarms are still with me. Never say never.

rosti

did the coke bottles have coke in them or something else? if so what?

also what is fondant protection?

i made some fondant using your recipe. it worked very well, thanks!

mark

Sorry, bad use of English. Some fondant placed on a weak/vulnerable hive/nuc over winter 'in case' they need it - even if you hope they'll be OK.

Coke Bottle wasp traps - examples in pic below. The 'rain' lids stop dilution of the liquor.

What exactly do you put in your coke bottle traps? I tried absolutely everything I'd every heard of last year and the wasps still got 3 new, small swarms. Very frustrating. Tried conventional wasp traps, similar 'coke bottle' ones to yours, even tried syrup in containers away from the hives to try to just take their attention off the hive (I know that's not really a good thing to do, but was absolutely desperate by then) but they weren't interested in anything apart from the hives.
What a mess.

What exactly do you put in your coke bottle traps?

Depending on whats spare in the cupboard, any combo of fruit juice, cider, cat food, jam, splash of vinegar. Seems to work OK for me. Get them out early to catch passing queens looking to nest in the spring.

Very similat to MA. Cheap fruit juice, slack hand full of sugar. Slug of vinegar, couple of crushed grapes to force it to ferment. Works a treat.

We used large jam jars with a pencil sized hole in the lid made with a large nail. 3 tablespoons damson jam, 2 tablespoons vinegar, 1/4 fill jar with water. We also made some in pop bottles and just removed the lids. All were stood on the ground, the nearest one about 3m from the hives. Worked a treat! Smelt disgusting though!!

every year i treat a few nests close to these fake nests so i dont think they work, i had one last year within 6" got to laugh.
but i would think things like this will always sell well on hope value alone just like magic diet pills.

Latest posts

Back