Wasp tunnels and mating queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do224

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I have a five frame nuc that’s being a little bit harassed by wasps. I’ve narrowed the entrance right down and they’re fending the majority off, but I did see one or two getting inside. There’s a couple of dozen dead wasps outside the entrance so I’m not sure if the ones that are getting in are getting killed by the bees and then dropped outside…

There’s a pretty good amount of bees in the nuc, pretty much filling the box but they are in the process of re-queening. I checked a couple of days ago and the queen has emerged but no sign of eggs yet.

If I create a wasp tunnel entrance using conduit as per @enrico’s method will it hinder a new queen getting mated? I don’t feel like it would but thought I’d check before I install it. The current entrance is the round hole variety which I’ve got partly closed off as I mentioned.

I think the bigger risk is a sustained attack by the wasps. Adding a conduit will help give an extra layer of protection. The bees soon work out their new entrance/exit route. In your shoes, I'd add that protection.

Get some bottle traps out in the area and I mean several. You’ll at least reduce foraging wasps in the vicinity, it works for me!

Get some bottle traps out in the area and I mean several. You’ll at least reduce foraging wasps in the vicinity, it works for me!
I was deliberating doing that but the wasps aren’t too numerous at the moment and I was worried that traps might attract more…

I was deliberating doing that but the wasps aren’t too numerous at the moment and I was worried that traps might attract more…
They might but if you make sure not a single wasp can get out and that you can empty them once daily it won’t matter.

Around nucs or around healthy robust hives?

They might but if you make sure not a single wasp can get out and that you can empty them once daily it won’t matter.
I keep my bees a few miles from home. I check in as regularly as I can but not always as often as I’d like

Latest posts

Back