wasp tunnel mark two

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just a few photos for those that were not around last year to show a simple wasp tunnel that seems to stop wasps entering your hive made with a simple piece of cable trunking.
it is pinned to the side pieces of the floor and is easily removable. It can be altered to allow the entrance to be open or only accessed via a long tunnel which deters wasps. there is a piece of foam in each end to block off the end you dont want used.

Attachments

• IMG_20190829_113929129.jpg
    IMG_20190829_113929129.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 569
  • IMG_20190829_112029731.jpg
    IMG_20190829_112029731.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_20190829_110133663_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190829_110133663_HDR.jpg
    565.4 KB · Views: 491
  • IMG_20190829_110237468_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190829_110237468_HDR.jpg
    577.1 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_20190829_110213091_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190829_110213091_HDR.jpg
    570.1 KB · Views: 476
Just a few photos for those that were not around last year to show a simple wasp tunnel that seems to stop wasps entering your hive made with a simple piece of cable trunking.
it is pinned to the side pieces of the floor and is easily removable. It can be altered to allow the entrance to be open or only accessed via a long tunnel which deters wasps. there is a piece of foam in each end to block off the end you dont want used.

Yes .. I liked that last year ... I never got round to making one but I've got some lengths of trunking left over from a project and I might just make some.

Did it take long for the bees to find their way into the end of the trunking and do you just leave one end open when the tunnel is in operation or do you leave both ends open ?

Reactions: BBC
I put a piece of foam in one end so that only one end is in use and then when I put it on the first time I leave it open in front of the entrance. When they are used to it I close the front bits together and use the whole front as a slider. I extend it a couple of inches each time until they find heir way in and out.
I find if you cut the front bit in half you can slide it to wherever you want and leave it in forever if you wish. Works a treat. Made from scraps and easy to install.
I don't bother with the holes in the front and if you make it the width of the hive two drawing pins at each end keep it attached to the side floor bars. Easier than screws.
E

Last edited:
Thank you. A really useful contribution.

I paid out quite a bit for a specially designed wasp excluder. Did it work? Yes, in that it kept wasps out.

But was it any good? No, it was useless. The entrance was so restricted that there was a rapid build up of detritus and dead bees within the hive. Foragers returning with pollen could not get in without a lot of it being dislodged. I considered it not fit for purpose.

So a practical inexpensive suggestion like this is brilliant. Thanks again.

wasp excluder

I just put one of the retailers wasp excluders in yesterday and am going to look to see how they are getting on, but yours is fact a better idea in that you have made a cut in the centre allowing a front opening. I reckon the retailer will be changing their design on seeing yours ( now where's my hacksaw gone! )

Eric .. I could probably screw that into the poly hive too ..right ?

My original idea was that these were screwed onto the entrance block permanently. Only the flat bit of the trunking and not the channel bit, which I'd remove when tunnel not needed

I was having problems with wasps and robbing. As I had reduced entrances anyway I made up a short length of oval trunking with an 8mm approx hole in the trunking facing the hive entrance and blue tacked it in place. Peace returned.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6473 Small..jpg
    IMG_6473 Small..jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 1,002
Last edited:
Some of the trunking comes with sticky tape on but it is on the channel side. I found that the channel side is better facing outwards. Tried it the other way first but the sticky came unstuck on a wooden hive so nothing gained.
By the way. My thanks to Drex and others who also gave their input in the last two years which ended up with the mark two. I do not claim sole ingenuity!
E

My original idea was that these were screwed onto the entrance block permanently. Only the flat bit of the trunking and not the channel bit, which I'd remove when tunnel not needed

A permanent option could be modified to close bees in for oxalic treatment but more importantly, when moving colonies from one apiary to the other.

I get fed up using foam inserts! :(

I was having problems with wasps and robbing. As I had reduced entrances anyway I made up a short length of oval trunking with an 8mm approx hole in the trunking facing the hive entrance and blue tacked it in place. Peace returned.

attachment.php

like this for a quick n dirty option

Using simple idea cut from plastic drinks bottle. Entrance reduced with sponge.
Seen wasps flying around entrance but haven't seen one inside hive and/or exiting hive. Bees still come flying out and crashing into the plastic but they soon learn to walk to the side.

Attachments

• 20190829_132244a.jpg
    20190829_132244a.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 155
Thank you everyone! Have shown all the photos to ‘as good as’ half and he is going to see what he has for a quick solution. Interesting enough, when I went out, the numbers around the hives had reduced, but I found them all clustered up the sides of the lids, especially the one deep lid I have. They weren’t over the top, just sheltering up the sides. I have also opened up my bee shed which is close by as that proved a great wasp attraction
last year, but not so much for the bees.

Latest posts

Back