Wasp traps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodneydavies

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
I have home made wasp traps (old jars with water and jam ) which i put on roof of my hives.
They are working and full of wasps but my son pointed out they maybe attracting wasps to the hives, should i place them somewhere else rather than on top of the hives ?
Views ??

First question - why are you setting up wasp traps?

Are they entering the hive - if so reduce the entrance size.
Take the traps away and see if wasp are entering the hive. If they are not you do not need wasp traps.

Yes they were already getting into the hive even after i had reduced the entrance size, the question was one of were to put the wasp traps close or away from the hive

OK, Another thing I have read is to put a sheet of glass in front of the entrance. Apparently bees can figure out how to get into hive but wasps cannot.

Not sure about where to put the trap but on top would be my guess.

Good luck.

<snip>

Not sure about where to put the trap but on top would be my guess.

Good luck.

Really? After the slating you have given me for giving advice this is the best you can do???

At the risk of the op reading the other thead and loosing the will to live.....Rodney am glad to see your home made traps are working I’ve placed them on hives before and it’s probably better to place around the apiary, I’ve not had any issues resulting either way and a pile of dead wasps speaks for itself

Hi Beebopper... I also us jam jars.. My recipe for the bait is per jar.. thin slice of old apple...dollop of cheapo strawberry jam...2/3 dessert spoons of cheapo orange juice...5 or so dessert spoons of sugar syrup...and finally a couple of splashes of vinegar...Works a treat.....Bees don't like the vinegar so they stay away...the wasps around here started bothering my nucs in early May, So I dotted the traps around the hives then...have emptied and reset them once since. They don't seem to bother the hives since I started to use under floor entrances as per JBM's post.

Back