Wasp Shock

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moggs

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
I know a bit about bees but not too much about wasps. There I was strimming some undergrowth at the allotment this morning and strimmed right into a wasp nest. They clearly weren't pleased. My dilemma now is how to deal with them as they are within about 10 metres of my beehive. Suggestions welcomed!

BOILING WATER fast an effective

:iagree:Bucket of boiling water, or a good slosh of petrol (not set fire to: just cold petrol). WD40 will also do the trick if you've got a small entrance and can suit up and get close enough. I use WD40 occasionally in spring if I see queen wasps trying to set up house really close to the hives, or next to the shed door etc.

Personally I don't bother to control wasps at this time of year unless they're right next to my gardening activities or really hammering the hives. They're everywhere in most gardens, literally with nests every few metres, so you can't really get rid of them, and they have their place in the garden. In fact I'm always surprised at how close you can get to them without them stinging. I agree that anything in the strim-zone probably has to go, though! A whole load of wasp stings at once is NOT something I'd like to risk....

Things to avoid are long-acting insect sprays, permethrins or anything likely to affect bees or other harmless beasties.

Wasp grub is supposed to be a fine fishing bait. Suit up, dig out nest and sort out some combs for any fishing friends you have. A little bonfire on the site should sort out leftovers.

Thanks all. I might have an exploratory poke about later, suitably kitted up of course.

A mate of mine did similar when he worked in forsetries. He hadn't realised until a colleague pointed them out, his legs were black and amber. He said as he began to run, they started stinging and he was layed up in bed for a few days after.

I've heard that wasp foraging range is usually only around 200 yards. Generally I ignore them unless they are in an area where they are likely to be a nuisance.

Aldi have some wasp nest destroyer in at moment that is very good. It has a jet that is accurate to 3mtrs. Simply spray it into entrance or as I did with nest outside front door, make hole in side with long pole and then spray before retreating. The spray turns into an expanding foam that quickly wets the whole nest, it's over with within 30 mins.
I now keep a can in store.

Deerless

A mate of mine did similar when he worked in forsetries. He hadn't realised until a colleague pointed them out, his legs were black and amber. He said as he began to run, they started stinging and he was layed up in bed for a few days after.

I've heard that wasp foraging range is usually only around 200 yards. Generally I ignore them unless they are in an area where they are likely to be a nuisance.

I was given a task in a youth hostel of clearing some ground.. unfortunately it had a wasp nest in it. Afterwards I couldnt really count the stings on my legs as I had my head between my knees feelling really nauseous for about 3 hours... but i think it was more than 10.

I use powder bought from Wilkinsons or foam wasp destroyer. The best for wasps in a hole would be the powder.

Latest posts

Back