Wasp Out

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm new to beekeeping (so prone to overthinking it and buying all sorts of stuff) - but I've had a go at making a modified 'wasp out'. I've read that wasps are deterred by tunnels into the hive - so I've combined the two... I'll start by leaving the entrance slides open so the bees go straight in and out (and down the tunnel) - once they're used to the tunnel I'll close the slides and the bees go along the front. I've blocked the right hand passage - I'll probably find that the bees have no clue how to get in and out (no doubt the wasps can show them the way!) - It'll be a bit like an episode of 'The Crystal Maze' - who knows the bees might use trying to work out how to get in and out as a corporate team-bonding exercise, inadvertently making it a stronger colony. Mk II is going to have a combination lock with a number only the bees know!

Attachments

• IMG_1529.JPG
    IMG_1529.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1531.JPG
    IMG_1531.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
I'm new to beekeeping (so prone to overthinking it and buying all sorts of stuff) - but I've had a go at making a modified 'wasp out'. I've read that wasps are deterred by tunnels into the hive - so I've combined the two... I'll start by leaving the entrance slides open so the bees go straight in and out (and down the tunnel) - once they're used to the tunnel I'll close the slides and the bees go along the front. I've blocked the right hand passage - I'll probably find that the bees have no clue how to get in and out (no doubt the wasps can show them the way!) - It'll be a bit like an episode of 'The Crystal Maze' - who knows the bees might use trying to work out how to get in and out as a corporate team-bonding exercise, inadvertently making it a stronger colony. Mk II is going to have a combination lock with a number only the bees know!

Did you have much joy with your home made 'Wasp Outs'? I like the sliding door options - presumably good for letting the home bees familiarise them selves with the change in circumstances!!! Does the tunnel seem to be better than the official wasp out version (ie with no tunnel)?

(FYI - I'm a newbie and my only hive, a swarm caught at the end of June is still pretty weak (only 5 frames) - I reckon they will be very prone to attack as soon as the wasps spot them!!)

Cheers

It's an option a lot of beeks have tried and used and most are happy with it's use, bee's will be confused for a while but they soon fathom it out.

Last year I found wasp numbers were so great that the Thornes type entrance as DIYed by me did not work. Wasps worked it out.

This year any feeding I do will be fondant.. liquid last year - even fed in evening - was a disaster - open invitation to wasps.
So far this year strong colonies and underfloor entrances have worked but wasp numbers are at most 10% of last year's.

Did you have much joy with your home made 'Wasp Outs'? I like the sliding door options - presumably good for letting the home bees familiarise them selves with the change in circumstances!!! Does the tunnel seem to be better than the official wasp out version (ie with no tunnel)?

(FYI - I'm a newbie and my only hive, a swarm caught at the end of June is still pretty weak (only 5 frames) - I reckon they will be very prone to attack as soon as the wasps spot them!!)

Cheers
Hi there. Yes it did work out. I blocked one end of the conduit with a square of polystyrene. This meant only one route in and out of the hive. The added tunnel was to make it more likely that wasps would have to pass guard bees o their way in if they chanced in the right entrance. The drilled holes at the front create a focus of scent and a focus for the wasps. Conduit bought from Screwfix.

as an update:

I have two hives that I put the conduit "wasp-out" on, with both ends open.
One hive, with an open mesh floor and 150mm entrance, looks OK
The other hive, with a solid floor and 25mm entrance, was "bearding" last night.
I removed the "wasp-out" this morning and was looking good.
Will update later on the progress.

I also have a "waspbane" next to the hives.

I've recently discovered that wasps give zero bitcoins about tunnels and will enter , by far the best wasp method I have found so far is to go and look for the little bitcoins and destroy them.Next year I will print some leaflets and pop them through my neighbours door in a 1 mile radius to offer free wasp nest removal service.

I've recently discovered that wasps give zero bitcoins about tunnels and will enter , by far the best wasp method I have found so far is to go and look for the little bitcoins and destroy them.Next year I will print some leaflets and pop them through my neighbours door in a 1 mile radius to offer free wasp nest removal service.
You just want to justify buying that flame thrower 😉

Latest posts

Back