Wasp or Bee

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Posted in another thread by Amari

That's interesting. I was called by a neighbour this morning: "Bees have moved in". In fact it was small wasps about 3/4 size of the common wasp, Vespula vulgaris. They were busily entering and leaving through a small hole in a garden room gable. The exiting bees were all carrying small loads of white material, some of which had caught on a cobweb. It was a white coarse crumbly powder. My neighbour had tasted it, thinking it might be honey!
We wondered if the wasps were stealing the under-roof insulation?

I cannot identify this presumably social wasp because it is definitely smaller than the 22mm quoted for the common wasp and other socials.

An identical wasp has a nest in the soil 2m from our patio table. They're very busy flying in and out. We can sit and eat lunch and not feel threatened - they do not invade our personal space in contrast to their vulgar cousins.

Can anyone help with identification. And could they be stealing my neighbour's insulation?

Wasp sizes are extremely variable, I have some really tiny Vespula vulgaris workers. Sounds like social wasps to me. Esp excavating and being seen carrying the insulation away. A photo would help though.

Latest posts

Back