Wasp Nest

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pargyle

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I discovered loads of common wasps coming and going through an air brick at my Mum's house this afternoon, clearly a nest inside the wall cavity - I thought at first they were stripey bees but they are definitely wasps. They were very busy flying in and out.

The house is unoccupied and they are not bothering anyone .. I was mowing the lawn almost in front of them and they were not bothered in the least. My inclination is to leave them be .. they should all be gone in a month or so ..

I can't think of any downsides to letting them be ..

Any thoughts ?

Yes leave them alone.

Consider placing some varroa mesh over the airbrick to stop them next time.

Consider placing some varroa mesh over the airbrick to stop them next time.

Doubtful wasps would nest there again in the near future - unless a lot of space in there! A grill would be better to deter bees from making a nest in the cavity (probably after the wasp nest has decayed somewhat).

As we are hoping to sell the house ... as long as they have gone before we actually have people looking round I don't mind leaving them there. The house is only about 30 years old so there's just a normal wall cavity - I don't think they can get anywhere else but I'll check the loft next time I'm down there. From past experience wasps don't usually build a nest in the same location - although I had nests in consecutive years in my loft at home that were built on adjacent trusses.

Latest posts

Back