wasp nest 100yds from my hives.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudley

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 apiary's 1 with 3 hives 2nd with 5 hives
I have just located a wasp nest 100 yds from my hives.
I will destroy this nest urgently, but thought I should also have some wasp traps about, but although I know there are threads mentioning making and baiting them, do you think the search thingy will find them?
Can you guy's instruct or direct me please?
Thanks Steve.

I made some last year from squash bottles and 30mm pipe. This year i`ve bought
some nice glass ones from ebay £4.99 each inc postage, but my wife spotted them and now wants to put candles in them, so i might need some more. :)

Darren.

I have just located a wasp nest 100 yds from my hives.

I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit.
It's the only way to be sure.

Empty plastic coke bottle. Tape the lower half to occlude light - make a letter box opening about 1" wide 1/2" deep about 2" above the tape. Half fill with jammy water. Wasp trap - free- :cheers2:

Made up they look like this. Cheap orange juice and a couple of small pieces of cut soft fruit to get it to ferment, attracts the wasps but the bees don't go near. You must shield the entrance or it gets diluted by rain. I position about 15m from hives.

Last edited:
Made up they look like this. Cheap orange juice and a couple of small pieces of cut soft fruit to get it to ferment, attracts the wasps but the bees don't go near. You must shield the entrance or it gets diluted by rain. I position about 15m from hives.

all they need is the little umbrella!!

Good catch there Rosti:drool5:

My "bait" is:- Dash of strawberry syrup, dash of cider vinegar, dilute as necessary and add a banana skin - or piece thereof - works a treat. 6 Asian and 1 European queen hornets so far this year:party:

Terrific, good design. Thank you. Great pics.

Thank you.

The wasp nest is no more, easy to get too, it was under some broken corrugated sheeting, just lifted it up and sprayed the buggers. Wasp traps in production thanks to you guys.
Regards Steve.

Latest posts

Back