Wasp attack ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadstone

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all, is this a wasp/ hornet attack on one of my hives ? 258815919_344169367596842_7789718746589063830_n.jpg

I believe green woodpeckers are the usual culprits. Plenty of those round here but no damage my hives yet - my first year of not adding protection.

As a cheap quick fix a few bits of flappy plastic stapled to the sides will do, a friend uses baling twine but the odd 1 has been tangled. Other than that a chicken mesh cage in real problem locations.

As a cheap quick fix a few bits of flappy plastic stapled to the sides will do, a friend uses baling twine but the odd 1 has been tangled. Other than that a chicken mesh cage in real problem locations.
Staple some plastic sheet to the outside of the roof that dangles over the side of the hives - they can't get a grip on it and are unable to peck holes. Cover the existing hole with some aluminium tape (not duct tape) the wood peckers don't seem to like pecking at it - may think it's not a natural material. Get onto it quick, they can make a hole big enough to cause a lot of damage to the bees in no time at all.

Latest posts

Back