wasp attack

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beesknee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
16 + nucs
Wasps are starting to be a pain in the ar** attacking my nucs reduced entrance but still trying to get in,I had an idea, as wasps are larger than bees would some queen excluder over the entrance stop them/slow them down to give bees time to tackle them? just an idea,please feel free to shoot me down or give me you thoughts on the idea

Some wasps are the same size and some even smaller! I have been splatting them around the hives, I have now put jamjar style wasp traps in the trees surrounding them.

I'd be pleased to see some wasps, hardly any here and naf all hornets, it's not good.

Chris

I'd be pleased to see some wasps, hardly any here and naf all hornets, it's not good.

Chris

After last year: 25 degree March in which all the wasps and hornets seemingly started nesting, and then raining every day in April - seemingly killing the lot (I saw 1 hornet and no wasps all summer 2012) - I was expecting a low count too.

I have 1 hornets nest and 1 wasps nest in the barn, and 1 hornets nest in each chimney either end of the house. I am playing live-and-let-live at the moment... but as the odd one is emerging into the gite and our living room they may be unlucky.

Not seen any wasps until on the roof last week, when they were not too happy about me sharing their space while I was trying to complete a repair. I managed to do the bare minimum, and leave without annoying them or getting stung, but we have major work to do up there during the coming month, so afraid I will have to destroy the nest. I won't do it until absolutely necessary, but it will not be possible to start the work with them there......

Given my place is be ideal for them, loads of land, old trees, abandoned barns and buildings, nothing is killed deliberately and no chemicals used it is a concern. Granted it isn't just the wasp family that's gone missing, it's the same for many insects and butterflies with two bad years, (spring and early summer), running.

I haven't been getting any "calls" for wasps or hornets either.

Chris

I seem to have loads of wasps at the moment they were going in and out of a nuc I had so moved them away as a last resort nothing seem to deter them,
they are still around trying to get into the main hive but there is more bees in there to defend it, I have caught quite a few in the jam jar wasp traps i did make a couple out of 2 litre bottles but not caught any in them dont know why all the traps have the same stuff in them.

they certainly are a pain here...

The bee inspectors tip was a wasp trap containing fifty fifty lager and coke with a dash of washing up liquid, place in a jam jar with a hole in the lid. Works pretty well for attracting the wobbies.
Andy

How many wasps in a good colony of vespula vulgaris when fully developed?

King Canute springs to mind.

Chris

I can't remember who posted it but there was a great tip on here, the year before last, which worked when I tried it:

prop a 2" by 6" piece of glass in front of the reduced entrance - the bees very quickly adjust to going round the ends but the wasps continue frontal attack.

....are wasps bigger than honeybees?

Had a neighbour rush over at weekend To tell me he had a load of wasps nesting in a bird box and did I want them.....?! I simply said "no"

I can't remember who posted it but there was a great tip on here, the year before last, which worked when I tried it:

prop a 2" by 6" piece of glass in front of the reduced entrance - the bees very quickly adjust to going round the ends but the wasps continue frontal attack.

....are wasps bigger than honeybees?

It depends on which species, some are larger and some much smaller.

Chris

Awwww, bless.

They do in fact nest near here where I photographed them, in fact they now nest right up as far as Brittany - should I be worried?

Chris

Chris, maybe in France but personally can't ever remember seeing one bigger than a honeybee in the. UK - with the exception of the overwintered queens
#
richard

Chris, maybe in France but personally can't ever remember seeing one bigger than a honeybee in the. UK - with the exception of the overwintered queens
#
richard

A Hornet is a wasp and I should add that I have bees smaller than vulgaris.

Chris

Adult workers of the common wasp measure about 12–17 mm (0.5–0.7 in) much the same as honey bees from 12 to 16 mm so it does rather depend on the bees and wasps concerned.

Chris

Thanks Chris, didn't know that, wasps I see here always appear to be smaller than my bees...

Awwww, bless.

They do in fact nest near here where I photographed them, in fact they now nest right up as far as Brittany - should I be worried?

Chris

Them's is pretty! Perhaps they caught all of your Wasps?????

Latest posts

Back