Wasp and moth lure

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
I have been looking up the wax moth lure recipe that was in BBKA news last year. It was
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of water
1/2 cup of vinegar
1 banana skin
i put it in a 2 litre plastic milk container and swish it around. i then cut a 1 inch hole just below shoulder.
Last year I put a couple of traps out and they became full of wax moths with a few wasps.
This year wasps have been bad in the garden. I have tried the wax moth lure and one containing water, jam and bits of over ripe apple. I have not caught any wax moths this year but the wasps are definitely preferring the wax moth recipe.
At my out apiary i did not think there were many wasps around but yesterday the trap with the wax moth lure was jammed full of wasps after less than 24 hours. No moths though.
As soon as we use a milk container i am turning them into wasp traps.

At my out apiary i did not think there were many wasps around but yesterday the trap with the wax moth lure was jammed full of wasps after less than 24 hours.

Is a lure not the wrong thing to be doing? Should you not be repelling than rather than encouraging them.

A similar thread on heard described making a fake wasps nest to keep them away.

I agree with Frisbee, My recipe substitutes fruit syrup for sugar and the scent is stronger than that of the hive and seems to intercept wasps, hornets and wax moths before the get to the hive.
Mike

Well at home we have wasps all over the place. If its not around the hives then they are in the house. They want sweet stuff so i am giving them sweet stuff. A trap is easy enough to do. Wasps nests are something to experiment with next year.
The fake wasp nest is a theory. As all the wasps nest colonies are breaking up would they have the same deterrent effect? So the nests are something to try out next year. for the present I use a trap.
Also I need the traps for the moths. last night I caught quite a few in the garden trap. The smell must be developing.

Latest posts

Back