Was asked but didnt want to guess..

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
What is the approx weight of a full hive in July, Pine National kit, standard BB x 11 frames, with 2 loaded supers? approx?

thanks

JD

with 40 hives you should have some idea :cheers2:

with 40 hives you should have some idea :cheers2:

I know, I will do by the end of this coming season :) !!!

PS Bloody heavy is all I have at present

is heavy a good thing at this time of year ?

Yes heavy is good it normally means they have good stores of food

I think a full super weighs about 15kgs so I would say around 45-50kgs ish for a full hive.

Regards,
Darren.

I think a full super weighs about 15kgs so I would say around 45-50kgs ish for a full hive.

Regards,
Darren.

I suspect maybe slightly over in worst (or best) case, will go with 60Kgs, cheers

Does anyone jot down the tare weights of hives and frames to get a good estimate of the weight of bees, comb and supplies contained?

With poly hives there is likely to be a fixed figure but other designs will have have variance due to materials, varying thicknesses etc.

I guess that there is no harm in having a basis of fact, even if you then guesstimate the final answer as seems the norm. :)

What is the approx weight of a full hive in July, Pine National kit, standard BB x 11 frames, with 2 loaded supers? approx?

thanks

JD

Having spent one afternoon with scales ect I think you are looking at 150lb+ what I dont know is how hevy are 50,000 bees

5k to the lb. ish.

I think 150 is too high as I kow I canna lift that much but I have in my day humped a brood and two sups.

PH

Perhaps a bit of confusion on my part I was assuming the whole hive stand, roof ect and a miss calculation that 2.4lb = 1kg and it is infact 2.2lb = 1kg so that makes my first calculation at 140lb+ for the complete hive + the bees?

Ok so if we are just talking about the BB and two supers then similar to you Poly Hive I calculate 111lbs + bees

This is calculated on a timber hive and not your nice light poly hives

This probably isn't particularly useful but I've just been up and weighed some of my spare kit.

National - OMF, standard brood, 2 supers (all cedar) and roof (ply/galv) is around the 35lb mark (16kg)

I didn't have any frames to hand.

Si.

thanks all, the assumption was everything in a national setup (omf+BB+2xsup+roof) but not the stand, the reason for this is roof support.

Jez

Latest posts

Back