Warre Beekeeping Site

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
interesting - I hadn't seen this one before.

It lead me to the question - how on earth does one extract and I then saw the images of 'mashed comb & honey' which resulted in a honey that resembled treacle....mind you the beekeeper was pretty proud of that !

Another link led to a home made press which the beek claims makes a better class of honey with no air in it - more fragrant.

thanks

S

You either cut it as comb honey, or cut it up small, and give it a cursory filter to get out all the big bits - raw honey with all the goodness left in!.... simples!
Low-tech, simple and cheap!
I've got a Warre, and am hoping for a harvest this autumn - this is a photo shortly after it was built, I'm shortly going to be adding a couple of extra boxes at the bottom to allow room..

warre.jpg

You ... cut it as comb honey

Not a too popular as a sale item, what with coccoon remains lining the brooded comb? Probably more nutritious than clean cut comb!

Or do they 'build and fill quickly' enough to avoid it in some areas?

Regards, RAB

well that's two ideas anyway !! I am not keen on the 'protein' option....makes me shiver
maybe they do build quickly enough, or perhaps the queen moves down into the new box and leaves a couple of cycles worth of pupae skins in the top boxes, that are then filled with honey ?

seriously though, I am all for 'ease of use' yet we have a warre in the other apiary - and i wonder how many swarms it'll throw as the box sizes do seem rather confining. Anyhow, and is this FATE or what....a customer at one of the shops I supply to has asked for some cut comb honey only last week - so I think I might have a customer all ready and waiting.

I am going to try a home made super frame set into a standard super to start with to try and get some early on - however the warre might well supply the rest.

I'll ask what price to charge on a new thread !

It's a doddle with a tbh, just choose some pristine comb, and cut carefully!

Latest posts

Back