Warre & Another.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't heard of doing splits or artifical swarms with Warre hives though they could of course be done but conventional beekeepers only perform these manipulations when regular inspections indicate they should be done - and reguar inspections I thought are precisely what is not done with a Warre - so I am not sure how the beekeeper with a Warre is supposed to know when to do the split or AS?
I dont think I have seen mention of doing a split but cant see that it would pose too much of a problem. You cant do inspections as with other types of hive, because removing bars of comb for inspection and replacing them is 50/50.

You can of course see some (little) way down into the box and guestimate how many bees are there.
Next year I hope to be able to get rid of the big box with national frames and will see if I can use these frames for a nuc.

Does anyone on here adopt the Warre/hands-off method of beekeeping with standard sized brood boxes (perhaps National or Medium Langstroth)?

Does anybody here keep a Warre hive and another type of hive, and perhaps can give a comparison between the two.

Shame you arent near Leeds as the LBKA are having a speaker in to talk about the Warre hive tomorrow evening.

Hmmm.

Too far to go really. Could be interesting tho.

I will be attending, I am not interested in Warre hives per se but expanding my awareness and knowledge of other beekeeping systems can only be a good thing.

I will be attending, I am not interested in Warre hives per se but expanding my awareness and knowledge of other beekeeping systems can only be a good thing.

Certainly true...

dishmop, so your main type of hive is a TBH, (this is usually a shorthand for a kenyan top bar hive) but you also say you have 2 x warre type, and we know you have an observation hive.
so, either alter your profile data, or make your mind up what you have actually got?

dishmop, so your main type of hive is a TBH, (this is usually a shorthand for a kenyan top bar hive) but you also say you have 2 x warre type, and we know you have an observation hive.
so, either alter your profile data, or make your mind up what you have actually got?
2 Warre hives and an observation hive.

Just edited my profile. When I joined the option of entering Warre was not there but it is now.

Last edited:

so, either alter your profile data, or make your mind up what you have actually got PLEASE?

so, either alter your profile data, or make your mind up what you have actually got PLEASE?

I have. I altered it nearly 7 hours ago.

I already said I'd done it.

Last edited:
I have. I altered it nearly 7 hours ago.

I already said I'd done it.

Sorry Dishmop- lack of clarity on my part. I was actually suggesting that tonybloke's post could have been a bit more mannerly.

Does anyone on here adopt the Warre/hands-off method of beekeeping with standard sized brood boxes (perhaps National or Medium Langstroth)?

Yes, I have used 10 frame national bb's this year and they work well. Most of them were in 4 boxes but a couple were a bit crowded so will go to 5 next year. My boxes have windows in the back so I can get an idea of how they are progressing.

I don't think Warre = hands off, to me it's about not doing intrusive inspections when you can see a colony is working well and thriving. If on the other hand I think there is a problem I will go in and have a look. I will also look to split some in the spring.

Mike.

Latest posts

Back