Warre - a book?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roche

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anyone have a recommendation on a good book on beekeeping with the Warre hive? I don't use one myself, but I feel ignorant about it...

I've downloaded the e-book and started to read it. The initial sections are interesting and some of the writer's thoughts seem quite contemporary and are very well explained. There is a bit of deviation from some UK norms as progress is made through the book, and I'm intrigued that the design of the hive incorporates a sort of "muffled" top ventilation.
I've seen enough previous comments here from regular beekeepers, to know that the Warre is considered to be a "blind alley" or anachronism, so no need to tell me that again. But I'm planning to have a go at building a version made from PIR board for next year; it shouldn't break the bank at around £20 for materials.
I hope the book will deal with what to do about the swarming instinct, but a quick scan ahead doesn't give me much hope. I'm not a lazy beekeeper, but it would be a blessing to have a few hives that required a lower input/lower output, which would allow me to find a bit more time for my Nationals whilst keeping a healthy bulk of bees.

Last edited:
Before you actually build it have a look at the work of Georges de Layens a botanist, also French who also lived during the same time period as
Abbé Warré who developed "The People's Hive" after considering over 300 hive types. Have fun and please do let us know how it turns out.

Before you actually build it have a look at the work of Georges de Layens a botanist, also French who also lived during the same time period as
Abbé Warré who developed "The People's Hive" after considering over 300 hive types. Have fun and please do let us know how it turns out.

Wiil do. :)

I'd recommend

https://www.northernbeebooks.co.uk/products/heaf-the-bee-friendly-beekeeper/
All centred around the principles of managing bees in a Warre setup ... and has the hive plans (also availaible for free at the website previously linked). I found it a good read, and used the plans to build my own hive from some rough-sawn local cedar.

Into my second year on the hive. Populated with a local swarm (presumed feral - lovely black Queen). Bees (per se) do really well in it. She swarmed this year, but I caught the prime swarm in a bait hive, and am managing that in a conventional manner. No honey take as of yet from the Warre setup itself (well, I might steal one bar - they have more than enough for winter) - but that's not really the point. A very rewarding and informative exercise all round.

I'd recommend

https://www.northernbeebooks.co.uk/products/heaf-the-bee-friendly-beekeeper/
All centred around the principles of managing bees in a Warre setup ... and has the hive plans (also availaible for free at the website previously linked). I found it a good read, and used the plans to build my own hive from some rough-sawn local cedar.

Into my second year on the hive. Populated with a local swarm (presumed feral - lovely black Queen). Bees (per se) do really well in it. She swarmed this year, but I caught the prime swarm in a bait hive, and am managing that in a conventional manner. No honey take as of yet from the Warre setup itself (well, I might steal one bar - they have more than enough for winter) - but that's not really the point. A very rewarding and informative exercise all round.
That's the bit that the wise old abbot seems not to have been too concerned to avoid. :banghead:

Beekeeping for All, Abbe Warre. ISBN 978-1-904846-52-9
Natural Beekeeping with the Warre Hive, a manual. David Heaf. ISBN 978-1-908904-38-6
The Bee Friendly Beekeeper, a sustainable approach. David Heaf. ISBN 978-1-904846-60-4

Latest posts

Back