Warning - roof cover - sharp edges!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
A warning to all you diy hive assemblers. Today, I needed a National Roof PDQ and dibbed into my goody store. I have some roofs I bought as part of a Thxxxes complete hive sale a couple years ago.

Upon offering the roof up to fit to the wood frame i ran it through my hands and bingo! very deep cut to top of one finger. I give of my blood freely and Vesuvius it certainly was.

Take note and if you have any metal roofs to fit any time soon, check out the edges for sharp bits with something other than your flesh.

I'll call you -know -who on Tuesday, just to do the honorable thing and warn them. I could maybe try to screw some compo out of them - like an observation hive? Yeah I know - dream on.

Regards

Fred

Never run your hands or fingers along the edge of anything..... Wood, metal, paper, cardboard.... and dont stick you fingers in tubes or pipes....

especially those push fit pipe fittings :redface:

and look up on google what "draw filing" is.....

I assume that the roof in question was cut by a guilotine..........which leaves a really nice sharp edge on sheet metal....

And never run with scissors in your hand.

J/K you have my sympathy - I just cut my fingers on paper the other day, unbelievably painful.

Fred! You're not safe to be let out without a carer!
Still, I once ran upstairs with a handful of non safety matches in my hand and by the time I got to the top I had a small bonfire in my hand! Ow that really hurt

would you run your hand down the length of a carving knife?

ZZ101572F2.jpg

I know wholesale butchers who check the sharpness of their knives by running fingers down the blade. Hands like ruddy leather some of those boys and knives much sharper than the average home carving knife.

When I sharpen my chisels I check for sharpness by just touching my thumb nail and try to slide the chisel along it. If it sticks its sharp but if it slips it needs a bit more work.

Latest posts

Back