WARNING: MB Poly Lang Nuc Feeder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drstitson

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Have just been to top up/remove feeders.

Discovered all 3 nucs with the new feeders on had feeders full of dead bees and no bees left in the nucs - all frames having been robbed out.
These were very strong full nucs when feeders put on 2 weeks back.

It's probably a too late for this season (especially as they are only recent additions to the MB line) BUT i'd advise extreme caution when fitting the wire covers onto the feeding areas - the wire is very good at stopping bees drowning BUT equally allow good purchase for bees to exploit any gaps/flexibility and get into the syrup area, acting like bees escapes.
Next year, if i have any nucs to feed, i will be using duck tape around edges of the mesh to ensure no bees can get through.

I haven't used mine yet so thanks for the heads up.
I still have to fit the wire mesh - assume I have to bend it?
Therein lies the problem. Has to be bent "just right"

Sorry to hear the Doc. Do they not put these thing through a season or two of checks. If not I would ask for compensation for the loss of the bees, not for one minute expecting them to give any though.

yep - bend just right and check the fit once in place on hive - has some spring to it and not necessarily exactly right size - may need trimming slightly too.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Mine are in the post for use next season, I will see if I can modify them.

DrS have you got a photo of the inside of the feeder, with the mesh in place?

I to have ha the same problem this year, their totally hopeless. I contacted Hannah@MB ad she was happy to exchange them for plastic versions when she got them in stock.

I removed the mesh to allow the few remaining live bees to go back down.

View attachment 7491

I've had several of these feeders and think they are brilliant.

Just need a bit of common sense and a pair of push pins or drawing pins to hold the frames in place. I used a flat screwdriver blade to ensure the mesh fitted closely to the edge and now the bees are propolising any small gaps left....

View attachment 7492

View attachment 7493

I lost a colony in the same way.
I blamed myself at the time believing I must have installed the mesh incorrectly.
It only takes a small gap and the little loves will find a way through.

The mesh is a little springy so it really does need pinning in place carefully.

floats

Why not take the mesh out completely pot in a few broaken pieces of poly styrene or some stray to act as floats for them. That way no danger of entrapment.

Also means if your hive is not quite level the bees can get to all of the syrup, as the level drops.

I to have ha the same problem this year, their totally hopeless. I contacted Hannah@MB ad she was happy to exchange them for plastic versions when she got them in stock.

I removed the mesh to allow the few remaining live bees to go back down.

View attachment 7491

Thats a seriously odd design of feeder, someone trying to be too clever I think.

The slot should run the full width of the end of the feeder, as that one restricts your options in the event of a small cluster and a late feeding date.

There will be some pooling of syrup in the half that does not have the access slot.

Yes you can easily do away with the mesh and cover the syrup surface with a generous layer of straw, but that is only good in autumn, and even then in some circumstances you can get wild comb problems as well. (In spring a strong colony, generously fed in a straw covered feeder, can come up and draw a lot of comb inside the feeder, and even the queen has been known to move up and lay there............then you have a serious mess to sort out at great risk of queen loss.

Sorry but do not think that is a good design of feeder, there are many already out there that are problem free.

As for the bees in the picture.................it looks bad but in fact there are less there than you might think. Better it did not happen, but that is not a number that will have a serious impact on overwintering. Of greater interest than the numbers to me would be WHY they are hanging about like that in the feeder. It can be a forewarning of a greater issue that will surface later............start thinking of nosema and acarine (or paralysis virus) for example.......although feeder design may also be an issue.

These feeders have worked very well for me. But I can see how a slight mistake with the mesh can have that bad effect.

I didn't realise that there is a plastic alternative.

My issue with them is that there is no top bee space - or at least, not with the frames that I have used.

or at least, not with the frames that I have used.

Not really an issue with the feeder if the beekeeper selects inappropriate frames?

Mine have been okay but will keep an eye on this, would prefer a folder clear plastic unit like the National feeders but I know this part was a late addition to the feeders.

I shall continue using them.
As long as you are aware of the potential all should be well :)

Sorry to hear the Doc. Do they not put these thing through a season or two of checks. If not I would ask for compensation for the loss of the bees, not for one minute expecting them to give any though.

In the cut and thrust of the bee container business, the design has to get to market before it is either copied or laughed at a lot. So, no they don't have the luxury of being able to extensively test them for a couple of seasons. I suppose that there is nothing wrong with unbridled optimism though.

Latest posts

Back