Warming honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chalkie

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5+
At the moment my honey is in a large stainless steel settling tank having already been strained, i next plan to filter of the honey through some of the wifes stocking into new beer fermenting bins/bucket with a tap at the bottom, then from the bins into the jars.
Question can the electric heated trays that home brewers use be used to warm the bins of honey so that it flows easier into the jar or will the honey spoil because the heat is coming from the bottom.
As you may have guessed this is my first year of honey production and i want to try and get it right.

thanks

into new beer fermenting bins/bucket with a tap at the bottom, then from the bins into the jars.
You might have to question the suitability of the tap, but others will I am sure advise you better than I on this aspect. Am I right in assuming that it's a beer tap?
You might be able to directly replace the tap with a honey tap.

You might have to question the suitability of the tap, but others will I am sure advise you better than I on this aspect. Am I right in assuming that it's a beer tap?
You might be able to directly replace the tap with a honey tap.

Why, do you think the flow will be to slow.

Hi Chalkie in answer to your question honey valves normally have a dia. of between 1.25 to 1.75in as opposed to your beer barrel which probably has one of .5in.hope this helps .:)

Hi Chalkie,
Not only the diameter as ainsie mentioned, which would cause it to be slow or very slow depending on the honey temperature.
Think of the construction of said tap; after the gate, there is usually the barrel of the tap which would make accurate control difficult, acting like a small reservoir, again temperature dependent.
A honey tap might be a direct fit replacement though.
I'm a bit surprised that you haven't received a more definitive reply to your original question, but someone might come along later to put us all to rights.
I hope I have been of some help and that on reflection my logic makes sense to you.

Hi Chalkie,
Not only the diameter as ainsie mentioned, which would cause it to be slow or very slow depending on the honey temperature.
Think of the construction of said tap; after the gate, there is usually the barrel of the tap which would make accurate control difficult, acting like a small reservoir, again temperature dependent.
A honey tap might be a direct fit replacement though.
I'm a bit surprised that you haven't received a more definitive reply to your original question, but someone might come along later to put us all to rights.
I hope I have been of some help and that on reflection my logic makes sense to you.

Yip, the tap's diameter is to small for a proper flow as i've just found out, can you buy the proper valve that would fit a brewing bin, do they have a nut and washer as the only valves i've seen are for screwing into prethreaded equipment.
thanks

I have 200 litre steel tanks. I put a big box around the tank and heat it with thermostat heat blower 2000 W.

The box has 4 wall elements which I connect together.

It is really slow to can the honey if honey is cool.

Back