warming honey question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
1 Nat & 1 WBC
Hi All
OK, this weekend I intend to have a go at building a warming cabinet. Assuming all goes well...here are a couple of questions I am sure (AKA hope) you will be able to help me with

1. I have one tub of honey that has sat (indoors) for over a month now. It has started to hardened, but I think a little way to go. I took it off in late august, and do not think it has any OSR in as the supers went on after the OSR flowers had gone. a) How do I know how much longer should I leave it...i.e. when do I know it is ready for warming (I am assuming I should I have left it in the first place?), b) how long, and at what temp should I heat for, and finally, c) is it straight in the bottle afterwards?

2. I have another, small tub of what I believe to be OSR honey. This is very hard, but not as hard as I think some descriptions imply OSR can become (though I suspect I could sculpt it if I had both the inclination and more importantly the ability to do it!). This was removed much earlier on in the year and am assuming it will harden no more, again this has sat indoors slowly doing its stuff. Again, a) how long and what temp should I warm this it? and b) is it straight in the bottles afterwards or should I be doing anything else with it? Finally, c) I think I read on a thread here that OSR can be heated just after extracting and bottling BEFORE it first sets...did I read correctly, and would you recommend this for next years OSR?

Thanks for your help in advance, and sorry if this is a repeat question folks

Make sure you stir the honey now and again whilst warming.

Give it a good stir to mix it well without getting too much air into it.

When I warm up honey in bucket, I put bucket in warm water (so called "water bath".) It is 10 times faster than warm air. Aquarium heater woud be good to keep heat on.

Last edited:
When I warm up honey in bucket, I put bucket in warm water (so called "water bath".) It is 10 times faster than warm air. Aquarium heater woud be good to keep heat on.

What temperature do you keep the water at Finman

I keep about 40C in . Hive has at its highest 36C.

The water contact makes it fast.

I have tried using a warm water 'Bath' for single jars of honey.
However regulating the temperature was a bit hit and miss.
A fish tank thermostat should solve it though
and the temperature would be a lot more accurate.

I shall follow up on this, unless anyone can see any problems

Latest posts

Back