Warming cabinet plans

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEG

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15+-some
Are there any available plans (preferably free) on line?
May make one in the next few weeks.:cheers2:

Need something smaller than a fridge as garage too full of SWMBO other stuff. :cheers2:

I posted some pics on the other site some while ago, of a warming cabinet made from a scrap refrigerator:), I find that the one I made very useful as it holds a 70lb bucket of honey and will liquify same in 24 hours using a 40 watt bulb ( I have stock piled some 40 watt and 60 watt bulbs for the inevitable fade out of supplies :svengo:.

John Wilkinson

Need something smaller than a fridge as garage too full of SWMBO other stuff. :cheers2:

A small fridge?

What I use which takes a 30lb bucket is our oven!

It has a special 30 Deg C and 60Deg C setting on it for warming food, raising dough etc, and also now honey warming.

It's a box big enough to hold either hive boxes or individual frames, with a heater that is preferably thermostatically controlled, possibly with some forced air movement i.e. a fan, and usually some insulation to reduce running costs and increase the rate of warm up. People usually bodge the heater bit with an incandesant lamp or two ('bulbs' are only planted in soil) and the cabinet can often be made from an old upright fridge freezer.

So what plans does it really need? Nearly every waming cabinet is unique and 'designed' on the spot on a make it up as you go along basis!

Might make a trip to the local tip tomorrow and see what I can come up with.
Would a fan heater with thermostat work in a fridge?

Might make a trip to the local tip tomorrow and see what I can come up with.
Would a fan heater with thermostat work in a fridge?

i was using the fridge methord this year, it sat in the garden when not in use ( the electrics were inside nice and dry) when i wanted it i used wiped it over and used it,
I now have a home made warming cabinet, 9 mm ply bigger enouht to hold 2 70 lb buckets, side by side, with two blubs under the buckets, It opens from the top, i have not got a thermostat, however maplin do them.The biggest problem is the lack of blubs in future, pictures to follow if you wish..
TB

ho ho ho

I have a couple of pcb boards I made that have a Thermostat+variable resistor that will work well in the honey warming range with a 40watt bulb.

I originally made them for homemade egg incubators.

Top man. I dont understand all this electrickery stuff you see. I am ok with the bulbs bit but fitting thermowatsits well you get my meaning.:cheers2:

No problem, really if you must use a light bulb or two. You may need to change the bulb holder but I would think oven lights (generally about 25W and Edison screw cap) will be available for a long time yet. 12 volt lamps for car headlights or rear fog lamps etc are probably safer than 230V systems.

Lots of options. Bulbs, lamps or resistors are all possibilities; mains, or transformered to a lower voltage, split mode convertors. It is only a small resistive load required, after all.

Regards, RAB

Lots of options. Bulbs, lamps or resistors are all possibilities; mains, or transformered to a lower voltage, split mode convertors. It is only a small resistive load required, after all.

Hell you could even use a purpose designed cabinet heating element that wouldn't break, has enclosed electrical connections, lasts forever and gives out 100% heat and no light.

Yep, even plug in two or three redundant older-type (not split mode) mobile phone chargers. I reckon I have a couple that will each give out about 15W or more. The notion that it must have these incandescent lamps in them is just simply narrow minded.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back