Warming cabinet - making your own

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrood

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I am thinking about making a warming cabinet using light bulbs as the heat source however I want to use a thermostat to alter the temperature. Central heating types only go up to about 30/35oC.

The plans I have got suggest a type called a "remote bulb thermostat" however these only appear to be available in the US.

Can any one suggest a type and source that that would be appropriate?

pandtpoultry is a forum member and could probably help with this, incubators etc are his thing, try a PM and see what he says
kev

hi
i just used thermostat for a vivarium lined a large thick cardboard box with the thick foam board silver backed from b&Q and a light bulb works a treat
mike

Hi BB,
I used a water cylinder thermastat. Works fine. Just make sure you check it is accurate with a good thermometer.

Dave

Can anyone recommend a guide to wiring one of these thermostats? I've got the cabinet, the light, a fan and the thermostat ... but virtually no clue how to connect them all up :confused:

This is not something I fancy learning about by my mistakes.

With thanks

I use a refrigerator ,One light bulb 40 watt or 60 watt depending on what I'm doing . I find no need for a thermostat or fan for that matter .
Checked with an accurate thermometer proves the cabinet to hold at 40 C with 60 watt bulb, 34/5 with 40 watt bulb . It wouldn't reach 50C if I left it a week :laughing-smiley-004

John Wilkinson

Hi Fatshark,
Wiring this up should be quite straightforward, have drawn a quick diagram. I assume that you want the fan to run all the time regardless of the temperature. A 1 amp fuse in the plug will be more than enough. Also, although not on the diagram - connect anything metal to the earth pin on the plug.

Kev

thanks everyone for posting, some really good ideas.

@ Saradan and Buzz Lightyear

I have this at home on my desk now.. click here but and this is the important bit, how do you wire it up. I can see where the mains go but what about a wire to the light? How have you wired yours up?

At the front seems to be a small hole where a cables goes in but do you need a special plug to plug in?

@ Victor .. as always, very constructive, thanks, that does seem the easiest of all and I think I could be trying that idea. I think I might be able to find an old freezer/fridge that would be perfect stripped down.

Blackbrood

actually looking at the salus pipe thermostat , it is quite clear where it is wired up. .. DOH.. homer simpson moment

actually looking at the salus pipe thermostat , it is quite clear where it is wired up. .. DOH.. homer simpson moment

Does it have an external wire probe or are you going to fit the whole thing inside the cabinet?

for remote bulb thermostats, which is what i use. try vivarium thermostats on ebay

I do exactly the same john, cheap and simple.
kev

Does it have an external wire probe or are you going to fit the whole thing inside the cabinet?

the whole thing would/should go inside the cabinet

but i do like John Wilkinsons idea. much simpler, safer, quicker and easier

Hi Blackbrood

In the process of building a warming cabinet myself (just stopped to eat my dinner and saw your post).

I've bought one of these on the recommendation of a beek who's used one himself for his cabinet.

http://uk.farnell.com/stego/01140-0-00/thermostat-0-60-c-n-c/dp/645849

I've also purchased a small fan to eliminate any hot spots.

The only difficulty with that thermostat is it is difficult to mount. I had to drill holes in sheet metal, push it through then araldite it into position.

Adam

Thanks Kev ... my thermostat (from screwfix if I remember, a cheapo cyclinder stat that covers the all-important 30-50oC range) appears to take 3 wires ... earth and then one for make and one for break on temp rise/fall. The instructions are skimpy to put it mildly.

--
fatshark

If you go for the vivarium thermastat, there are two type's one for light or one for heat matt, thay are fitted with a plug, temp probe, and a tree pin socket for the light or heated matt, plug in and away you go.

John

Fatshark.. may I offer a note of caution. Most heating cylinder stats work on three wires, Common = Live Feed and then the other two make or break on rise or fall of temp. It may be a two wire and earth but I would doubt it so please check before wiring the unit.

As a further point of interest most cyl stats also have a wide’ish operating differential, anything from 6 to 12 deg C so do not assume the temp on any scale on the unit is accurate.

regards

Latest posts

Back