Warming cabinet heater.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi folks. I have a stand up freezer that i have converted to a warning cabinet.
I have always used the old 60w incandescent bulbs to heat it. It appears that they are not available to buy anymore except on line. So i bought 3 for £14.99 !!! Which is bad enough but then they decided to blow one after the other!!
So I'm wondering what kind of heater does anyone else use in a warning cabinet.?

Hi folks. I have a stand up freezer that i have converted to a warning cabinet.
I have always used the old 60w incandescent bulbs to heat it. It appears that they are not available to buy anymore except on line. So i bought 3 for £14.99 !!! Which is bad enough but then they decided to blow one after the other!!
So I'm wondering what kind of heater does anyone else use in a warning cabinet.?
Get rid of the fridge and get one of these ... best thing I ever did ... takes a 30lb tub .. set the thermostat at 40 degress, 3/4 fill with water ... 4 ot 5 hours later ... runny honey - lot faster than the fridge. It will also melt wax and I've got a stock pot that fits in it perfectly.

Jam maker 3.jpgLidl jame maker 2.jpgLidl jame maker 2.jpgLidl jame maker 2.jpgLidl jame maker 2.jpg

Hausen tubular heater (others are available but many have a low thermal cutout limit)
View attachment 29497
and an STCW1000 thermostatic control
Major issues with these, i fitted one, then two then three. Fine for honey warming but will not get above 50 degrees as although they say no thermostat they have an inbuilt one. This means you cannot get it up to 70 degrees - not for honey but i used the same cabinet to melt and clean wax very effectively. I therefore have three of these fitted and a light, just use light for wax melting, not found away around this welcome ideas.

Major issues with these, i fitted one, then two then three. Fine for honey warming but will not get above 50 degrees as although they say no thermostat they have an inbuilt one. This means you cannot get it up to 70 degrees - not for honey but i used the same cabinet to melt and clean wax very effectively. I therefore have three of these fitted and a light, just use light for wax melting, not found away around this welcome ideas.
The tubular heaters have a bi-metallic strip (internally) which regulates the temperature. I have managed to open up the tubes and bypass the strip but not recommended unless you have an alternative thermostat fitted and know what you are doing. I would add that I scrapped the first one I tried but had nothing to loose as they were otherwise useless to me for the reasons described.

strange, because mine will go straight up to 60 no worries, I think the cutout on them is 70
so there are no major issues for them as honey warming heaters, which is what we were discussing

? No ... just one.... heating the buckets not the hive ! Mine was on gumtree and I got it for a few quid. People buy them thinking they will make jam but they won't... its actually an American canner for preserving things ... not making jam! So they sell them . You have to ve quick as the home brew people use them a lot and snap them up...

I have two. They are brilliant
I use the old one for cleaning the odd frame and the new one for melting honey. They are really useful if your jars have started to set and look awful.

Old school dinner warming cabinet. Rewired elements in series to slow the heating. A pc fan to circulate the air. An online from China thermostat/controller. 20211216_144645.jpg20211216_144627.jpg

I use an old dairy tank with top and bottom heaters (from a fan oven) to warm buckets. Or process set comb to get honey and wax. Does 100 frames at once. Stainless spade to stir with. Bottom valve to collect from.20211216_145954.jpg20211216_145922.jpg

Latest posts

Back