Warm weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbeekeeper

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi

Looks like it is going to be unseasonable warm for the next week or so.

Even now (8pm) it is 12 deg c out side.

Will this effect the bees?

Hi Finman

Yes I know they do well in a warm climate, but is it not bad for them to be all geared up for hibernation then it warms up, then it goes cold again, hot, cold hot cold etc

They will use more food,so you need to keep an eye on that in spring,bee's do not hibernate in that that sense. they will be fine with the changing weather,in spring we have warm days and often freezing nights,no problem.

Last edited:
It also makes oxalic acid dribbling a little trickier if the bees aren't clustered tightly.

Have to disagree- prob against all trends- but I think better to trickle when cold enough to be in the hive with no brood- but not tight cluster- better distribution surely when there is a less tight cluster :party:

Hi Heather,
yes distribution is the key thing. Not too little and not too much. With a tight cluster you can judge the dosage (5ml per full seam) and you know the solution will cascade fairly evenly downwards. If bees are moving everywhere or flying then its a lot more haphazard. Bees in a tight cluster do get agitated when dribbled in acid (wouldn't you :ack2:) and that's enough to get the distribution going. Last Dec/Jan I had bees boiling over or flying up when I took the crown off - any varroa on them probably escaped.

It also makes oxalic acid dribbling a little trickier if the bees aren't clustered tightly.

Only demand is no brood.

you have there even fine weather, as before

we are getting -10c

Last edited:
Fine judgement needed - NO BROOD, cool so not flying, but calmly circulating. IMOO.
But then I have bees that are well behaved -they were moving but only on the frames.Didnt lift a head to bother me. I still feel a tight cluster will not treat sufficiently. Time will tell.

Yes it's the most important thing, otherwise 80% of varroa will escape. But if you only treat 75% of the bees then 25% of varroa will escape too.

And where you got that calculation?

why i shoud i treat only 75%
i use to treat them all
you trickle every gap where are bees and that's it.

Last edited:
When you trickle the colony the cluster will be disapeared after 15 minutes. They spread the syrup when they become upset.

And where you got that calculation?

why i shoud i treat only 75%
i use to treat them all
you trickle every gap where are bees and that's it.

It's only an estimate. Some bees not in the gaps. Some bees moving all over the place. Some bees shield others but move away after the acid is applied. So maybe 25% don't see the acid?

Chris, the responsibility. . .
Issue has been researhed 10 yars and you pull estimates from hat. Stop that in serious questions.

Trickling efficacy is 96%, not 75% as you "estimeate".

Last edited:
Todays "inspection"

Hi

I use the word inspection very loosely.

I gave them their QA trickle, So had to take the crown board off for about 1 minute.

But it was a nice day so the entrance was quite full of them all and flying abit.

They where bringing in pollen, sort of a sandy / olive green colour (any ideas)

Very pleased with the apparent strength (numbers) of the hives.

Just out of interest I put a board under one of the hives, will have a look at it in 24hrs time, but please note I am not going to get all scientific over this and start counting etc.

Jim

Hi

I have just inspected my make-shift inspection board under the open mesh floor.

Quite a large number of (dead?) varroa. at a guess I would say approx 100

I have put it back under the same hive and will inspect over the next week now.

I consider myself quite pro-active in varroa treatments and IMP, so I hate to think what someones hive is like that does not treat? Dead!

Jim

Last edited:
That seems like a high count Jim,did you treat in the Autumn with gel or strips?

Hi Admin

Throughout the session, I have done drone culling (via a super frame), and sugar dusting. Together with my OMF I saw mite drops, mites in the drone brood, but nothing signficant.

I then used the varroa strips at the end of August for the 6 weeks.

The colonies are all good and strong, and showed no sign of problems or varroa up until the last full inspection.

Is it possible with the last warm September, mite numbers dramaticly increased?

I assume now, given the mite drop, they will be better for it???

I suspect I am not the only one?

Jim

If I had 100 mites drop in one week I would be very worried. :svengo:
I see about 5 in a week, when I have the board in place, But I did OA treat earlier this month.
Will put the boards back tomorrow and assess next week.

Latest posts

Back