Warm way or cold way?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobbydaler

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anyone have a preference? Any solid evidence? I always use the warm way, only because I like the theory of it.

I was thinking about this recently as I have been playing with a floor with an underfloor entrance with access from all sides. I assume the bees will place their brood directly above the small central hole in the floor so there would be no cold or warm way. 😀

My apiary is a bit windy, so I thought (rightly or not) warm way is better. I also prefer working bees standing behind the hive.

My apiary is a bit windy, so I thought (rightly or not) warm way is better. I also prefer working bees standing behind the hive.
I have no real preference (nor from experience do the bees) but working the cold way means I have two options of where to stand for inspections which allows me to chose which gives better light on the combs.

Does anyone have a preference? Any solid evidence? I always use the warm way, only because I like the theory of it.
It makes no difference which way they are- the cold/warm 'difference' is just another myth

Yeh I like the theory too, but I set up cold way as it gives theoretically better access for the bees - but you know what it doesn't make any noticeable difference to anything, like JBM its just a myth.

How many times do we see wild comb drawn on the diagonal in boxes accidentally left empty?
Some times it's even at a 45 degree angle.
I like Neil's theory about the brood nest
Entrance and brood layout.
I've never tryed warm way there's no need.

Slightly different angle to this...I’ve been thinking about how to arrange polyhives in a small apiary that I’m changing from WBCs as lighter and easier to carry.The space is tight as my bees are tucked away on one side of a terraced garden. Tricky but worth it as so sheltered and forage is really good. I’m thinking of putting 2 hives alongside on a stand vs they’re separated with different entrance directions in WBCS currently. Was considering either putting both side by side - easier to inspect, warm way, but could result in some drifting. Other option is to turn one through 90 degrees so one is cold way, much less drifting. Need to check if frames fit that way! Queen into nuc for swarm control, reunite later (ex queen). But see so many pics of hives on stands facing same directions.
Thoughts / preferences when placing 2 hives together on a stand?

Last edited:
Slightly different angle to this .... Was considering either putting both side by side - easier to inspect, warm way, but could result in some drifting. Other option is to turn one through 90 degrees so one is cold way, much less drifting but perhaps a bit of twisting for the beekeeper. Queen into nuc for swarm control, reunite later (ex queen).
I may be displaying my ignorance here, but turning one hive through 90° doesn't change it to cold way does it? Don't you need to change the configuration of the frames within the hive to make it cold way?

We discussed thos a while ago and the only clear pattern was that it didn't seem to matter if your floor is an open mesh.

I may be displaying my ignorance here, but turning one hive through 90° doesn't change it to cold way does it? Don't you need to change the configuration of the frames within the hive to make it cold way?

You are correct. I assume what Elainemary meant was that the hive would rotate 90 degrees but the frames would stay facing the same way as they were?

I've found that when frames are warm way, the bees fill the first couple of frames with pollen. Presumably they just want to offload it quickly? I have hives with both ways and have always noticed this pattern on the warm way ones.

Slightly different angle to this...I’ve been thinking about how to arrange polyhives in a small apiary that I’m changing from WBCs as lighter and easier to carry.The space is tight as my bees are tucked away on one side of a terraced garden. Tricky but worth it as so sheltered and forage is really good. I’m thinking of putting 2 hives alongside on a stand vs they’re separated with different entrance directions in WBCS currently. Was considering either putting both side by side - easier to inspect, warm way, but could result in some drifting. Other option is to turn one through 90 degrees so one is cold way, much less drifting. Need to check if frames fit that way! Queen into nuc for swarm control, reunite later (ex queen). But see so many pics of hives on stands facing same directions.
I have all my hives, two colonies on three box stands with a gap in the middle to put stuff. Works for me without changing direction of entrance.

Back