Warm way or Cold way

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Hyde Ranger

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Warm way or Cold way, which is best and why? how do I choose, is it linked to local climate or weather conditions or is it just a personal preference, I would realy appriciate some advice on this, Regards Nigel. :confused:

Warm way or Cold way, which is best and why? how do I choose, is it linked to local climate or weather conditions or is it just a personal preference, I would realy appriciate some advice on this, Regards Nigel. :confused:

OH DEAR! this could be a can or worms

Does it matter with an OMF, my view it does not but what do i do...

Warm Way in winter, spring summer, autumn but change a weak hive to cold way and 2" entrance if being rob out by bees or wasps

I generally go warm way, but that is because three of my hives are that way. No choice with many hives, eg Langstroth. They have no issue with it and do not debate it! It is that important!

I would disagree with MM in that a small colony would always be warm way as the nest will be nearer the front wall and wasps may be easier to defend against with that arrangement (IMO).

Do you want to work from the back of the hive or the sides? More choice if cold way!
Solid floors or OMFs? As MM says, not a lot of difference with an OMF.
Time of year? I suspect it has been quoted many times that the National is better than the Langstroth, because warm way is needed more in Britain than America, and there is a choice with a National. Doesnt hold up to scrutiny though. Narrow, shallow entrance with a solid floor is not much different either way. So I suspect it is only during the cold British summers that warm way might be chosen for the temperature aspect.

Take your choice. Even my fixed warm-way hives (the Dartingtons and beehaus) are generally worked from the side anyway, so to be honest I don't personally care a jot - except that I find that with the 14 x 12 frames the foundation seems be completed better (and more evenly) if warm way - almost forgot that.

Regards, RAB

Not desparate but there are only 2 choices any way. I have tried both ways. None seem better than the other. The only time I wore a shirt was when I got married lol.

Last edited:
Not desparate but there are only 2 choices any way. I have tried both ways. None seem better than the other. The only time I wore a shirt was when I got married lol.

Does three langstroth frames jammed diagonally in a national count as athird way :).

last year a beginer with a BS national hive bought a langstroth Nuc and then as the frames of brood were too big ,jammed them diagonally in the national brood+ super box...as the nuc box had a £50 deposit

eventually someone helped him cut the brood comb out of the frames and then they tied the comb to a national frame

...i wonder if his bees have survived this winter?

Last edited:
Oooh errrh had an ear full recently when discussing this on forum. Have looked at different ways but have decided there is a lot more to worry about with my hives than which way they face.
Have fun thats the main aim.
Cheers

Life is like a tin of sardines we are all looking for the key. Alan Bennett.

Veg, Stripy rugby shirt by chance? :) The plot thickens Hivemaker. :cheers2:

If you use a sack truck or anyfhing for moving hives, then perhaps cold way has an advantage.

If you use a sack truck or anyfhing for moving hives, then perhaps cold way has an advantage.

Surely it depends which side you lift to get the sack truck underneath. :)

>The plot thickens Hivemaker.

It does,wore shirt only once when married,was it stripey,was poly hive present at said wedding,perhaps standing on a grassy knoll,conspiracy theories abound.

Ah, yes. Does that mean he was wearing trousers?

Don't think the meaning will be understood by Finman. But one never knows....

Regards, RAB

Nothing for Finman to understand, other than the sense of humour at play. It may be a mystery, but isn't that half the fun of adding snippets to weave a story. So much more interesting than the "3 word story".
Trying to get to the bottom of a bottomless well is likely to blow even Finman's intelect :)

OK fellas thanks for responding, I have been both enlightened and amused by the replys so far, lets see if I've got this right, I am going to be using national 14 x 12 BBs so warm way is best for completion of the foundation though not crucial, Oh and I should be wearing a rugby shirt, who plays in Yellow and grey hoops ? If I can blend in perhaps I can avoid being stung LOL

Trying to get to the bottom of a bottomless well is likely to blow even Finman's intelect :)

You have uninsulated hyperventilated hives in very cold UK and you discuss, cold way or warm way.

I think that you have only one way and it is very cold way.

If you now understand...

I have insulated hives, solid bottom and electrict heated bottom - cold or warm way - ask then?

Latest posts

Back