Warm way / Cold way

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
None of my own
Interested in peoples views on changing the orientation of their frames depending on the season. One of my hives is a National and set up the warm way - should I be thinking about moving them round?

Also, is this only a UK only phenominon - I believe its not heard of the the US and I guess in parts of the world with more extreme temperatures (Finland?) they remain one way or the other.

I think that all in Finland use "cold way" because Langstroth construction is a such.

During winter the entrances are wider than during summer.

In Finland? Langstroth?

I would think there are few 'square' hive types where the change-around is actually possible.

So 'around the rest of the world and with the most popular hive type in the world' would cover Finman's reply, but widen it too it's full reality.

Regards, RAB

In Finland? Langstroth?

We have practically only langstroths. We do not practice "estethic beekeeping".

50 years ago our "long hive was popular", which Britain has invented some years ago.

But if you are professional you must migrate hives. Then Lanstroth is only possible. Of course we use medium super = farrar frame.

Modern breeded bee stocks need big, flexiple hives

Last edited:
In answer to the original query , I would leave them however you have them now . It will make no odds by the time you have a mouseguard in anyway . The cluster will find a warm place in the hive whichever way you orientate the frames . If you want to try the other way swap one colony round next Spring and see if you find any difference , apart from having to work from the back of the hive during inspections .

George

I keep mine the cold way, Why? For my own convenience .I like to work from the side of the hive, my wife t'other ,this way she can see if the Queen is on her side of the frame being lifted ,whilst I, my side . The number of times this is disproportionate in favour of her side is unbelievable :blush5:
Also ,for me the lifting of supers has become a two handed affair :mad:. meaning yet again , the cold way helps .

John Wilkinson

Also, is this only a UK only phenominon - I believe its not heard of the the US and I guess in parts of the world with more extreme temperatures (Finland?) they remain one way or the other.

You only really get square hives in the UK giving the choice of warm/cold way. Langstroth/Dadant predominate the world over and this is a rectangular hive, so only giving the choice of cold way.

Changing frame orientation is plain bad practice. A real spanner in the works of a bee colony. And the terms 'warm way' and 'cold way' are just conveniences and have nothing to do with temperature. Easier than saying 'frame orientation'.

Have to disagree here. Changing the orientation makes little if any odds in my experience.

Cold way was considered so as with the entrance fully open the wind was thought to blow through the combs and in the early magazines the matter was debated very fiercely indeed. Flaming is nothing new...LOL

PH

In summer I keep 3 broods. The lowest is quite cold and the queen moves up when I keep the entrance wide open. The bottom brood has pollen stores and it is buffer space when the nectar flow is heavy on rape field.

But I do not like mesh floor. It is too open and cold and wind blows into the hive.

In summer I keep 3 broods. The lowest is quite cold and the queen moves up when I keep the entrance wide open. The bottom brood has pollen stores and it is buffer space when the nectar flow is heavy on rape field.

But I do not like mesh floor. It is too open and cold and wind blows into the hive.

Hence the Scottish practice of putting an empty brood box underneath the OMF for the winter...

Thanks for youre replies. My other hive is a WBC so no issue there but I think I'll leave the National as it is (though will certainly pick up the idea of placing it on a spare box)

Latest posts

Back