• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted: Pure Carniolan & British Black Queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDaddy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi Everyone,

Would anyone happen to know where I could get any pure Carniolan & British Black queens from. Many thanks :)

Mike Roberts at Easy bee imports Carni queens.
He has been banned from the forum for spamming,just type easy bee into Google to find his website.

Not sure if anyone does AMM queens for sale.
You could try Roger Patterson on the BBKA forum for advice,or try the Bibba website.

Mike Roberts at Easy bee imports Carni queens.
He has been banned from the forum for spamming,just type easy bee into Google to find his website.

Not sure if anyone does AMM queens for sale.
You could try Roger Patterson on the BBKA forum for advice,or try the Bibba website.

Bickerstaffs were advertising some pure AMM, albeit from Greece rather than British Blacks. It took a bit of digging on the website, but have a look towards the bottome of the page http://bickerstaffs-queens.blogspot.com/

1 , i had not realised, no wonder its quite with out him.
be very carefull with the bibba they are a very wiered lot to say the least, how many bee breed societies do you know that dont actual breed bees, i asked them this year if they sell queens and got told no!!!!!

there is a queen breeder over at kiddy sorry kiderminster he has a darh european bee for sale , just be carfull dealing with him as his quality of late is rubish and you realy do know your bees to make sure he dont palm you off.

Thanks for that admin. I know of Mike in fact my first two colonies came from him.

Thanks for pointing that out Hedgerow Pete. I haven't come across him so I'll keep my eye open in case I do. Mind you I would always be very through with enquiries before committing myself.
Intresting point regarding BIBBA. I keep hearing all sorts of negative remarks about them which is disappointing. I came across a post somewhere about a new BIBBA initiative associated with local BKA's being asked to pool resources in rearing queens. I didnt realise that BIBBA dont actually breed bee's. How's that work??

BDaddy...

Just out of interest why do you want carniolans.. I was reading Simmins' A Modern Bee Farm last night and he mentions that Carnionals are: "Active during the summer months" .. and then adds ... "Somehow their activity never seems to result in the accumulation of a proportionate amount of stores, unless they are hybridised, and then not only is their temper somewhat vicious, but the become chronic robbers."

I think Hivemaker feels they are not on the productive side, so I'm wondering why you like them!

first i must nail one's colours to the door and i hate with every part of my body carni bee's , sorry always have always will, so i personaly dont use them but my bussiness partner does and he raves over them but i think they are over rated and leathel if breed incorrectly

as for the bibba in theroy a brilliant idea and one i would support, ok the world has moved on since isle of white etc etc, but i have dark european bees or english blacks if you want but , when i was speaking to the bibba at the spring show they were realy very well intelligent people with to me personaly no real solid schedule or plan, lots of members but no head to the beast a bit like the bbka but smaller

Bickerstaffes do indeed sell AMM as I bought two. They came from Greece and one was overly tired from her journey and promply failed. However I am over wintering one and may buy more next year to boost my program.

AMM are I am finding very difficult to source which for me is infuriating as I had them by the bucket load in my last go round.

BIBBA have a major issue to over come and that is internal communications. I brought this up with Dave Cushman at Stoneleigh and he assured me they were working on it. However nothing so far has appeared and I fear like so many of their good intentions they are again dead in the water.

I will continue to work on sourcing pure AMM from Scotland.

PH

What tan? Still here until November. Then Jamica man....lol

PH

BDaddy...

Just out of interest why do you want carniolans.. I was reading Simmins' A Modern Bee Farm last night and he mentions that Carnionals are: "Active during the summer months" .. and then adds ... "Somehow their activity never seems to result in the accumulation of a proportionate amount of stores, unless they are hybridised, and then not only is their temper somewhat vicious, but the become chronic robbers."

I think Hivemaker feels they are not on the productive side, so I'm wondering why you like them!

Hi Oxfordbee,
I like them because they seem perfectly suited to the climate, they have just the right traits I'm looking for and my experience with them in the colonies I have are beating the "locals" hands down. The only thing I would say is that I'm more interested in breeding & stock increase than I am for a crop at the moment (other than to sustain themselves that is)

There is a man in the south of ireland who breeds and sells PURE AMM queens. He is called Micheál MacGiollaCoda (pronounced McGillacuddy). His bees are dna tested to be sure they are pure AMM. Here is a link to the site. They are called Galtee bee breeders.

http://www.gbbg.net/index.html

Micheál Mac Giolla Coda
Galtee Honey Farm
Burncourt
Cahir
Co. Tipperary
Ireland
phone: (052) 67205

i find that a good cross is better i dont like all this pure unless they have been A.I and i have heard that some can fail. i find if you leave it down to themselfs you can pick your stocks to be how you want i to have had problems with the carni myself, i am now trying a italian queen mated with british drones see how they turn out.

They do not export their queens outside of Ireland, for those that were thinking about trying to import...........

There is a man in the south of ireland who breeds and sells PURE AMM queens. He is called Micheál MacGiollaCoda (pronounced McGillacuddy). His bees are dna tested to be sure they are pure AMM. Here is a link to the site. They are called Galtee bee breeders.

http://www.gbbg.net/index.html

Back