• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted Heather Floor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxylad

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Anyone know if any hive makers building heather floors?

There used to be such things in the olden days but any OMF floor will do for Heather.

PH

Seems the link is broken, some picks...

Oh I seee!

Thanks, I get it now. Additional ventilation for travelling basically I guess.

Meg

Hi Meg, FL and All

Yes, a ventilated floor for travelling but also easy to close as the open part is a hinged flap which is readily held shut and closed with a butterfly nut.

The pictures above were lifted by FL from the Scottish forum and appear not to be a traditional heather floor but one adapted to function as a Varroa floor too.

To see the original discussion you'll need to Google for 'SBAi heather floor' as this site doesn't seem to permit links to other ones.

Gavin

You can link to other sites Jim,just not other forums..

I have some of the old traditional heather floors,no mesh involved in there construction at all....solid cedar with an easy to close entrance bar.

I have some of the old traditional heather floors,no mesh involved in there construction at all....solid cedar with an easy to close entrance bar.

The heather floor I have Pete was on a National hive with a Steele and Brodie brass label I think (obtained it second hand), and it has perforated zinc mesh in the floor. That floor we were discussing on the SBAi forum seems to have been built up from one of these floors (with the mesh) with extra bits added to turn it onto a Varroa floor.

The hive has bees in it at the moment but I'll try to take a picture when I can.

all the best

Gavin

Latest posts

Back