• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted - Equipment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncanSmith

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I thought i would start up a new thread!

I want any thing to get me going in the world of bee keeping.

Im in kidderminster, happy to buy anything that you don't need or use any more.

I thought i would start up a new thread!

I want any thing to get me going in the world of bee keeping.

Im in kidderminster, happy to buy anything that you don't need or use any more.

Duncan, your post raises a few concerns - for you!

Firstly, there are a number of incompatible "hive systems" out there, and, at least until you understand why you might want to change, stick to one single 'system'. The most common in the UK is the National - however even that exists in different 'flavours', such as the 14x12 and there are some who prefer top beespace - and of course top beespace boxes don't interoperate with bottom beespace versions.
My suggestion would be to learn about such pitfalls before spending any money on equipment.
Have you done a course and joined your local association?

Secondly, beekeepers tend to be a very 'retentive' bunch. If they sell anything, ever, its either because they are giving up (for whatever reason) OR the thing in question has no conceivable future use to them or anyone else.
One example would be honey-handling kit made of non-foodsafe materials (like tinplate or galvanised). Useless junk. But frequently to be found on eBay ...
Look VERY sceptically at any used beekeeping equipment being offered for sale.
Accurate beespace is essential in hive boxes. And rare in home-made kit offered for sale ...

Thirdly, secondhand kit needs to be thoroughly sanitised/disinfected before reuse to avoid the spread of bee diseases. The NBU has some guidelines on appropriate procedures on their BeeBase website.

Fourthly, after joining your local association, you might consider trying and go along with some of your new mates, to the BBKA Spring Convention (at Harper Adams - not far from you?), where most of the major suppliers will be offering extremely cheap deals. It would also be an opportunity to try on beesuits from different suppliers to find what fits you and your budget best. However, even a beesuit isn't a real urgency (associations should have loan items) until you have learned a little of the craft and can understand what you actually need.

I agree, you can get brand new stuff very reasonably these days if you look around, with good polystyrene and wooden hives on sale to choose from.

I think second hand kit has very little value unless it contains bees. If you love DIY and are handy maybe it will be worthwhile but unlikely.

As mentioned never mix top and bottom bee space.

Once you know what hive you are going to use (a whole debate of its own) you may be able to buy a full colony in said hive from somebody. You will soon need some extra kit. An easier way to start may be to get your hive/s ready and then get a nucleus or two to install.

Thank you all for such fantastic feedback! I will stay truly away from second hand equipment. Thorne have a fantastic starter kit! £220. Has anyone seen it?

all the major suppliers have regular sales, so don't rush to buy at catalogue prices.

Latest posts

Back