• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted Carniolan queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
30+
Am splitting and looking to queen the second colony with a carnolian, anyone know where i can source one for next week please?

Thanks

I started with Carnies three years ago. They are now one hive out of = lots. Lovely temperament** but the swarming is chronic, inbuilt and frankly a burden for the inexperienced.

Even experienced beekeepers find problems with them due to swarminess.

(I've just collected a large swarm which looks like Carnies from the markings. I will requeen later on with a different strain - probably Buckfast.)

They do,however , have several great advantages: hardy , well mannered and build up rapidly in spring. And they provide swarm collectors like me with free bees.

Don't is my advice.

** When pure. My second generation crosses followed and were aggressive on hive opening. I requeened

I started with Carnies three years ago. They are now one hive out of = lots. Lovely temperament** but the swarming is chronic, inbuilt and frankly a burden for the inexperienced.

Even experienced beekeepers find problems with them due to swarminess.

(I've just collected a large swarm which looks like Carnies from the markings. I will requeen later on with a different strain - probably Buckfast.)

They do,however , have several great advantages: hardy , well mannered and build up rapidly in spring. And they provide swarm collectors like me with free bees.

Don't is my advice.

** When pure. My second generation crosses followed and were aggressive on hive opening. I requeened

ooh ok, so should I look at going Buckfast then?

I have colonies that have carniolan background and they are some of my best performing colonies. They build up well, have a calm temperament produce many supers of honey and if you try to squeeze them into a small box of course they will swarm, what would you expect them to do??

I've had a few generations from them and they haven't been aggressive either.

You need to know what you are going in for but I certainly wouldn't advise against it, same with buckfast.

But to answer your question, Becky's Bees might be a source, do a google.

I have requeened with 2 carnis this year from p~~nes seem to bee very calm and gentle as for swarmy il see next spring

Mine are lovely, gentle and calm but look at my other threads about my problems with swarming. They have had space but that's all they have wanted to do. I am very disappointed as I really wanted Carni's for the same reasons

I have bucks and carnies. I use carnies for cut comb work, they build up relatively quickly in spring reasonably hardy, one colony came through the winter and survived after going down to 2 seams in March! not always gentle but not always swarmy! one colony put 4 cells on the bottom bars so demaree them then they gave up swarm mode queen gets happy again stays in hive etc etc nice white cappings on comb, brittle propolis not gooey when colony throws up lots of cells you have the choice to use them or not as case may be!

I have had carnies that when crossed were pure evil(following and pinging at 200 yards !).

I think a lot comes down to local drones they cross with.

Ask around locally to see what they are like in your area.

ITLD is very happy with his carnies, I believe they are the same ones supplied by Peter Kemble (KBS).

Latest posts

Back