• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Want to buy Honey from beekeper

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steven1985

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi I am new :)

My name is Steven and I moved to UK 2 months ago.
I used to buy honey from my local beekeeper and having a bit of problem with this in the UK.

Would like to buy 1kg of honey for start and if everything is good I am likely to buy more.
I am located in Sheffield, looking for either a local beekeeper or someone who can send me the honey via post/courier.
Looking for raw honey or as they say nowadays organic honey.

Missing the honey taste very much, the ones in shop are pure sugar and syrup.
Thank you in advance!
With regards,
Steven

Suggest you contact sheffield BKA and I'm sure someone will put you in touch with a local beekeeper prepared to supply you with what you want. No such thing as organic honey in UK and I'm not sure raw honey is a proper recognised and definable term (certainly not in the honey regulations) . By the way Honey in shops is not pure sugar and syrup (The strict 2015 honey regulations enforced by trading standards protects the public from such malpractice). However local honey has less heat treatment and less filtration and usually far more taste than many imported ones. Sheffield honey often has high content derived from Lime trees giving it a great flavour in my opinion (I'm a honey judge so take that as you may)

http://www.sheffieldbeekeepers.org.uk/contact-us/

By the way Honey in shops is not pure sugar and syrup .....

However local honey has less heat treatment and less filtration and usually far more taste than many imported ones.

It depends on what honey you buy in shops ..I use some mid range honey I bought in a supermarket to demonstrate the difference in taste between my untreated cold filtered 'raw' honey and what 'processed' supermarket honey tastes like .. virtually everyone comments that the stuff from the supermarket tastes like Golden Syrup .. I'm not suggesting that it is anything other than honey but whatever they do to it removes all the subtleness of flavour of real honey. A 'blend of EU and Non EU honey' covers a multitude of processes inflicted on it I think ... honey it may be - but not in the same league IMO.

.. virtually everyone comments that the stuff from the supermarket tastes like Golden Syrup ..

That will be appreciated by beefarmers in this country who sell their regionally labelled honey via various supermarkets.

That will be appreciated by beefarmers in this country who sell their regionally labelled honey via various supermarkets.

So do our Beefarmers supply own label supermarket honey and label it 'A blend of EU and non EU honey' ??? I think not ... and if some of them do then they don't put their name on the label so we will never know ? Either way the mid price own label honey I purchased and use for tastings tastes like Golden Syrup so lets hope it's not British Beefarmers Honey.

Read the whole post and pick holes in things you should be picking holes in - my post was not aimed at our Beefarmers who I have nothing but admiration for ...

Thank you

Thank you for the comments I will definitely check out the Sheffield honey company. Thank you for all the recommendations.:thanks:

Sorry for that I meant the honey tastes like full of sugar and syrup, my bad. :sorry:
Yeah they say the honey in shops should be fine by EU regulations, the thing is it just doesn't taste like it, its more of a syrup taste for me at least. Besides it's almost always a blend of EU and non EU honey. Kinda don't really want to know what this means...perhaps too much processing.

Last edited:
Another factor to take into consideration is the source of the nectar. You may be wanting a flavour produced from nectar of plants we do not have here, but which provide a flow of nectar in your country.
I produce raw wild flower honey but it may not be to your taste because the plants from which it is derived are different to what you are used to.
Another factor is OIL Seed Rape (OSR) which gives a honey high in Glucose and is very sweet to taste. OSR is the main crop for many UK beekeepers (not me though).

Last edited:
This company sells their honey in shops, they'd be disappointed to learn that you think it's 'pure sugar and syrup'.
http://www.sheffield-honey.co.uk/

Disappointed is not the word I would use :)

Steven1985 happy to take a call from you on 07980 261554

I'm a small scale beefarmer running around 400 hives across the Sheffield region, and believe it or not we like many others have the same concerns over the content of many products and how they are labeled. Always check the small print for 'Blended Honey from EU' = no provenance.

We dont blend honey (even our own), we dont import any honey, we dont pasteurise honey, we dont filter honey, we rarely hit OSR, and we would never think about adding sugar or syrup - just crazy as you would get caught.

We work with trading standards very closely due to our brand presence locally, in fact we had our annual visit just this month. For our own curiosity we have had honey analysis done several times over the years - an amazing process that tells you the pollen breakdown within your honey sample.

Happy to take a call as I say.

Thanks

Jez
The Sheffield Honey Company

Hope nobody mind me replying under the company name.

I buy always honey direkt from beekeeper, or I buy in small shops, wehre I can be sure that I buy real honey. Sometime I import from other countries as Spain

It depends on what honey you buy in shops ..I use some mid range honey I bought in a supermarket to demonstrate the difference in taste between my untreated cold filtered 'raw' honey and what 'processed' supermarket honey tastes like .. virtually everyone comments that the stuff from the supermarket tastes like Golden Syrup .. I'm not suggesting that it is anything other than honey but whatever they do to it removes all the subtleness of flavour of real honey. A 'blend of EU and Non EU honey' covers a multitude of processes inflicted on it I think ... honey it may be - but not in the same league IMO.

Correct....and the initial reason why I started beekeeping.

Latest posts

Back