Walking bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilderness

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
4 + 1 nucs
I mowed the grass around the hives yesterday and today I've seen about 20 to 30 bees walking. I guess this might have been happening for weeks but the length of grass was hiding them. They were about 30 feet away from the hives and heading away from the hives. I took note of 2 or 3 with deformed wings but the others appeared OK.

I've been monitoring for varroa all summer and only found the odd mite on the insert so assumed there were not many in the colonies.

This morning I treated with Hivemaker's recipe and had 30+ mites fall in 1 hive within 4 hours (not checked the others yet).

Do you think all the walking bees are varroa damaged or something else like Acarine?

I do have a dozen of the "walkers" in a container in the freezer.

I have had more this week walking round I have put it down to all the rain we have had this week, I also checked no wing damage , but little flying on Friday & Saturday with the bad weather it could just be some on their last legsbee-smillie
Grub

Get them tested asap, you can then deal with it before shutting them up for winter.

There are lots on here who could examine for you, good luck.

If varroa treatment has resulted on 30+ falling so quickly then there's a pretty good chance that you have a high infestation.
Best to treat all at the same time.

Have you checked drone brood for varroa infestation? I think not.

Mite drop is only one of the indicators. Influx of bees from a collapsing colony, or result of your bees robbing can soon increase the loading.

There are several signs before the symptoms become apparent. We need to be using all these pointers - after all that is one reason for inspecting the colony.

RAB

By the sounds of it from your description they have DWV...and possible paralyses.

Cause and effect

dwvvarroa.jpg

Taken today at our association meeting. :angelsad2:

Taken today at our association meeting.

How many were like this?

That looks like a very poorly bee :( Can you do anything to treat it or is it a gonner, and then treat the new bees?

Nothing. All worker die after about 6 weeks or so in summer. This one may be lucky to make 6 days. You don't treat the new bees, you kill the mites! Then the new bees should be much better than this example.

Regards, RAB

My god! That's due to varroa? I know it causes deformity, but thought they died in the cell and were removed by the workers...not got that far in my hoopers ( revised with the modern disease section ) Poor bee :(

Taken today at our association meeting.

How many were like this?

Thankfully the only one seen, but it was a good example to show to the new bee keepers the problems varroa cause. It was removed from the frame so I could take a picture of it for our assoc website.

Picture added to my Album

Last edited:
Thankfully the only one seen, but it was a good example to show to the new bee keepers the problems varroa cause. It was removed from the frame so I could take a picture of it for our assoc website.

Picture added to my Album

but if this one was so badly affected, surely there will be others when they hatch ( hatch? well, you know what I mean )

Rab, I have uncapped drone brood regularly during the summer. I was not worried by the small number of mites.

All 4 colonies have been working well all summer and queens laying well at the last inspection on 5th August.

I'll go through the colonies again on Wednesday, which is supposed to be a dry day, ;) and report back.

RAB

This may not be as easy as it would appear. I have been checking drone brood since I got my hive about the beginning of July, and not seen a single mite.

Finally got them onto a varroa floor a couple of weeks ago- drop of about 30/day. Got Apiguard in now- 80 on the 2nd day, 160 yesterday.

Mites on brood always look really obvious, but I suspect I need to get my eye in.

Latest posts

Back