Waiting for mating.....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cannot imagine she'd last long in a colony so my best guess is hivemaker's going to quickly raise a bunch of daughters off her as drone mothers for the next generation, fascinating stuff whatever, how do you trick her into laying unfertilised eggs to begin with? Co2 ?

Yes, mbc, spot on.

Queens and workers are heterozygotes, drones are hemizygotes.

When the egg is fertilised but has identical genes, it is a homozygote. This is a diploid drone

So as long as we're in genetics class, a Q fertilized by her own drones has a 50:50 chance of a worker/Q or a diploid drone depending which of her zygotes is involved from her and her son?

So as long as we're in genetics class, a Q fertilized by her own drones has a 50:50 chance of a worker/Q or a diploid drone depending which of her zygotes is involved from her and her son?

Why is a diffence, is the drone her son or somebody's else son?

In nature a queen have no change to mate with his own drone. What is the idea 50:50?

Genetic class...do they teach these things...

And diploid drones in nature are killed.

Last edited:
This is one of those strange areas of honeybee genetics where the inbreeding impacts the amount of homozygosity to different degrees as you move through the generations.
20:25 to 22:32 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYtPTt512tE

Khem... All this nicknames and topics... Is it some sort of a special day today or... Is it always like that, and I`m just so badly affected by the spring finally coming into it`s full( or fool :) ) force... :)))

When I looked weather map, north Atlantic Ocean is full of low pressure centres. That is more important knowledge than diploid drone ratio appearing in artificial insemination.

What happens to virgins, everyone will se it later in hives. Positive thinking does not help. Swarms in wild cavities will be destroyed if virgins does not mate. They have about a month to be mated.

To buy foreign laying queens is one possibility.

Last edited:
Swarms in wild cavities will be destroyed if virgins does not mate. They have about a month to be mated. To buy foreign laying queens is one possibility.

Requeening feral colonies!! I think you need to change your brand of vodka Finny - or try to get out in the fresh air a bit more.
Ever thought of getting a few beehives and becoming a beekeeper? :D

Requeening feral colonies!! I think you need to change your brand of vodka Finny - or try to get out in the fresh air a bit more.
Ever thought of getting a few beehives and becoming a beekeeper? :D

Use your brains, Jenkins. . You must have short of jokes. Key word: sheep in fresh air.

Last edited:
I'll have to borrow some of yours - you seem to have a never ending supply of them.
you should try fresh air sometime - beats sitting in fromt of a screen all daays fantasising

Genetic class...do they teach these things...

Yes. My 15 year old son is studying genetics in Biology at school now. He came home from school yesterday and could tell me all about heterozygosity / homozygosity / dominance / recessives / etc. Whether he remembers it all for his exams is another question though.

Yes. My 15 year old son is studying genetics in Biology at school now. He came home from school yesterday and could tell me all about heterozygosity / homozygosity / dominance / recessives / etc. Whether he remembers it all for his exams is another question though.

In artificial insemination? All about!

hello J mum

I new to this forum ,
I'm in the same boat my new queens emerging Tuesday next week !!

No, he/she is trying to take us back to the OP.

Latest posts

Back