VW Caddy van purchase and insurance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flywheel issue is well known, I had two come into the garage where the dual mass had failed drastically, The springs depart from Flywheel and get thrown around the Bell housing, the two I mention the gearboxes had actually been ground off the engines.
You really do need to watch out for the DMF Symptoms .... catch it in time and its a couple of hundred to fix ... leave it and in no time it's a completely new gearbox as the flywheel disintegrates and destroys the gearbox to the point where it's no good even for a service exchange unit. Apart from the droning voice this bloke is spot on with his description of the symptoms.

Around 80,000 miles is about the point where some of them go ... but, it's a matter of luck.... some of my Ford Vans went at 60k ... others lasted to 120k ... I used to get very cross because my blokes ignored the symptoms and ten years ago it was nearly £3k for a new gearbox. Eventually, I started just replacing them at 60k with a replacement non DMF flywheel ... cheaper than risking the gearbox (I had 12 vans in the fleet so you can begin to imagine what it cost me !).

I've got a Skoda Tardis Roomster with the 1.9Tdi and DMF. 123k on the clock and, touch wood, no clutch/DMF/turbo issues so far. Make sure it's properly serviced and the 1.9Tdi PD will outlive the rest of the vehicle. In terms of the DMF I've heard that the thing that really kills them is lugging/labouring the engine.

Ingnore the service schedule and the 1.9 TDi is bomb proof my passat used to get very frequent oil changes pritty much 10K or every 3 months, oil filter every other was on its way back from the moon when someone crashed into it, still 40+ mpg and it was a 4 motion origi9nal flywheel and clutch the golf 5 didnt do so well tho.

my only experience of caddy's is with manual ones and that gearbox is crap :( got to the point i can change the gearbox is sub 2 hours now auto box i havent had any dealing with but its probally fine

Ingnore the service schedule and the 1.9 TDi is bomb proof my passat used to get very frequent oil changes pritty much 10K or every 3 months, oil filter every other was on its way back from the moon when someone crashed into it, still 40+ mpg and it was a 4 motion origi9nal flywheel and clutch the golf 5 didnt do so well tho.

my only experience of caddy's is with manual ones and that gearbox is crap :( got to the point i can change the gearbox is sub 2 hours now auto box i havent had any dealing with but its probally fine
Yes mines the 1.9 automatic gear. Looking at the detailed service schedule the gear box had some work on it in 2019. That’s the benefit of finding a good motor from a council, they look after their fleets well and do low mileage. The person who found it for me told me their drivers aren’t allowed to do any maintenance at all - health and safety, any issues go straight to the maintenance manager and he sorts it!

Last edited:
I've got a Skoda Tardis Roomster with the 1.9Tdi and DMF. 123k on the clock and, touch wood, no clutch/DMF/turbo issues so far. Make sure it's properly serviced and the 1.9Tdi PD will outlive the rest of the vehicle. In terms of the DMF I've heard that the thing that really kills them is lugging/labouring the engine.
Think with my low mileage with 3 apiaries within 4 miles of my home I’ll be cruising rather than labouring the engine!

Think with my low mileage with 3 apiaries within 4 miles of my home I’ll be cruising rather than labouring the engine!
Have you thought about fitting an insect screen somewhere behind the front seats? I guess a bit of a pain for front access and storage, but set back from the front seats a bit perhaps?

Vw do the caddy in all wheel drive, I've seen one done up with fierce tires and a roof rack used for rafting trips on the zambezi, looked very business like.

Have you thought about fitting an insect screen somewhere behind the front seats? I guess a bit of a pain for front access and storage, but set back from the front seats a bit perhaps?
There is a fitted panel and mesh between the driver and the storage area so I’m fully protected when moving bees or if any followers get ideas!

Vw do the caddy in all wheel drive, I've seen one done up with fierce tires and a roof rack used for rafting trips on the zambezi, looked very business like.
Sounds amazing!
This one is an automatic so it took many weeks tracking down to find the right one. Shortage of components and high demand means v few about. Nearly new ones with low mileage are available but £30k!
I reckon with my low mileage between apiaries it’ll last me 10 years!

Good luck with your Caddy. As previously posted I bought a 2009 Citroen Berlingo 30 months ago with 124K on the clock @ £2.5K. After agreeing the price the dealer offered to change the cam belt for no extra.
I like it because it has rear windows. I've taken the rear seats out so it could take six hives - so our SBI tells me - he has the same-age model.
No mechanical problems so far and passes MOT.

Attachments

• CD307FDB-FB84-4F10-A6DC-5E72AD286094.jpeg
    CD307FDB-FB84-4F10-A6DC-5E72AD286094.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
This is the van. Think it’s very tidy, v few marks given it’s 2006 and no rust.

Had MOT this week and no advisories. Full service history. One owner - Bristol city council.

I’ve asked for 2 new front tyres, one new spare and tools; already put a new battery in yesterday. Going to check cam belt and replace if not changed within last 3 years. Gear box services in 2019

Sounds great, very smooth to drive. Got parking sensors. Original 3 sets of keys. Was used as a joiners van.

We’ve shaken on £4250 subject to the above. Happy.

Just need some bee vinyl artwork now, including the message “No bees left in here overnight” 🤣
Talking about vinyl art work, I followed a van recently with the following message on the rear door.
"Beware blind man driving!
I also do awnings and sunshades."
Well, it made me chuckle 😂

Good luck with your Caddy. As previously posted I bought a 2009 Citroen Berlingo 30 months ago with 124K on the clock @ £2.5K. After agreeing the price the dealer offered to change the cam belt for no extra.
I like it because it has rear windows. I've taken the rear seats out so it could take six hives - so our SBI tells me - he has the same-age model.
No mechanical problems so far and passes MOT.
Looks v tidy!

precisely that, this dosent matter for the OP as auto but for anyone else its useful. the amount of people who think been able to chug around in top gear at 30 mph is a good thing is mind-blowing diesels aren't like old gardener truck engines. used to see people all the time moaning that DMF's were failing often within a year or two and on different cars if you flicked through the trip computer the same people were always getting terrible MPG as well. and the ones that snap crankshafts chew up gearboxes, destroy engine mounts and clog dpf's . drivers that thrash them never get these problems.

i used to drive a lot of miles and generally quite hard, with a lot of towing as well and cars do love it. always made me chuckle when what i must spend on repairs was brought up, i spend a lot on tires, brakes, scheduled servicing but no clutch , flywheel, dpf all original and your on 300k miles and getting trip computer reading 5mpg better than same car thats done 60k haveing its 2nd clucth got dpf probelms with a driver that trying to drive econmically..... let them rev a bit

Latest posts

Back