VQs to mini nucs delay

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Repwoc

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
>6
A bunch of QCs emerged in my incubator yesterday evening / overnight. I've fed (honey) and watered them and would normally get them into mating nucs asap. However it's pouring down and cold out today, so hesitating to do it.

How long can I leave putting the VQs into mating nucs?

A bunch of QCs emerged in my incubator yesterday evening / overnight. I've fed (honey) and watered them and would normally get them into mating nucs asap. However it's pouring down and cold out today, so hesitating to do it.

Quite a while, at least 10 days, but I believe it's a bit of a sliding scale with earlier being better for acceptance.

Thanks @mbc. The forecast looks better for tomorrow (light rain showers), hopefully I can get them in nucs then.

I aim to introduce virgins asap, usually on the day of emergence (although, I have read it's possible for up to 48 hours). The longer it takes to introduce, I'd expect more to be rejected.

Honey is ok to sustain a virgin queen for a few hours but she really needs to be fed by workers. Some people even put a few workers in the Nicot cage with the cell when she's due to emerge - I don't do that though. I just mark and introduce as soon as I can (usually within a couple of hours of emerging).

Thanks @mbc. The forecast looks better for tomorrow (light rain showers), hopefully I can get them in nucs then.
I've got 70 odd cells being placed tomorrow, rain or shine, looks like better weather from tomorrow onwards for a nice spell

A bunch of QCs emerged in my incubator yesterday evening.....

I use an (hen) incubator too. I select the hive i want queens from, demaree it, then collect QC's from top BB when sealed and place in incubator at 35c and when emerge place in mini nuc. This method seems so much easier than messing with eggs/nicot system etc etc

Basically what Etton said but this batch are being transferred directly to mating nucs as cells. The weather has been so bad we only raised a few, if it improves we will harvest more later on so some of those will go into the incubator.
I'll have a check on the first ones as well, bit of luck they are laying now.

Latest posts

Back