Vorroa treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxylad

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Hi, in one of my apiarys one hive has a heavy vorroa load. There are 4 commercial hives 3 OW and one swarm around a month old.

The queen has stopped laying and there is very little brood. I have seen vorroa on the bees and when opening around 15 drone cells vorroa has been present on all the lava.

I treateted with maqs after the season, last year. And did OA trickle around December. It’s generally quite late when doing the MAQS treatment. The beginning of September as there is heather next to my winter Apiry. i have just boaught some more MAQs as I know I can treat with the supers in place although I was going to treat with another treatment this year.

It feels very warm to treat. Could I take off the supers (2) and sublimate? I read that if I sublimate I would not be able to place the supers back on for 8 weeks. I need to do something as this hive is I feel going backwardS.

You can do treatment with OA by sublimation after taking the supers off and put them back on ... personally I'd leave it a day or so but I know some people are happy to put the supers straight back on. The easiest way is to stick your clearer board in one evening, the following morning Vape them (by which time most of the bees will be out of the supers), leave the clearer in for 24 hours to contain the bees in the brood box and then take it out. Job done ... if there is very little brood in there you should only need one vape ... if there is brood - three vapes at 5 day intervals - bit of a pain but if you can actually see mites on the bees and the drone cells are infested to that level - you really have a problem that needs attention.

Many thanks I will do that at the weekend.

Latest posts

Back