Voice Controlled Data Keeping App for Android

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beenotes

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello to all, my name is Vicki and I work with beenotes, a team of researchers and beekeeping buffs who are trying to develop a voice controlled beekeeping inspection application. The aim of the app is to help beekeepers record hive data by using their voice to respond to a set of hive inspection questions (Maya uses machine learning to improve her understanding), using their mobile phone's handsfree device. The app is supported by a backend for analysis of the collected data.
We're now into a phase of opening it up to more users, in order to try it out and get their valuable feedback. It's free and you're most welcome to sign up at beenotes dot com, download the mobile app from the Google Play Store(search for beenotes) and start hive inspections (right now it's only available for Android enabled devices).

If you have any questions, let me know. Thank you, Vicki

nice to see that its android before iPhone as most go the iPhone route.

Starting out with Android (instead of iOS)

Thank you dpearce4.
It makes sense when you're looking at it seriously and want every beekeeper to try out your mobile app. The application can work on any low cost Android mobile device w/out even the need for a SIM card, so it made sense for us to start from there. It can even work with a tablet but it would be hard to carry around and have your hands free.

Does it collect location data from the phone?

Does it collect location data from the phone?
Hello Hachi,

No GPS data is collected(for now). You start by adding your Apiary or apiaries on a map in the backend, using your PC. Then, when on field, you choose through your mobile at which apiary you're working on and start inspecting your hives.
The hives will be added to your relevant apiary once you sync the data you have collected. That can be done immediately when you finish (if you have a data package on your mobile) or when you're in wifi range. The app works even without a data connection on a very simple Android phone (and w/out a SIM card installed).

Thank you for the question, Vicki

How many hives per apiary can you input?
Hi Anduril,

as many hives as you want. The more the better for the analysing of the overall apiary development. We have beekeepers with over 800 hives using it.

Thank you, Vicki

Has anyone checked out this app yet? I have, and it does work, however, looks like there are a lot of extra things that need to be included, such as prompts for Varroa treatment, nosema etc. It's only beta at the moment. Hope they will develop it much further as it could be a very useful app.

Wow ... I'll check it out.. My gloved short hand is dodgy..

I've just installed it and will have a play...

Last edited:
Tried it out at one apiary on Saturday, unfortunately I had trouble with it recognising my speech whether it was the wind I am not sure, but I kept repeating myself and nothing happened, eventually it timed out. Tried it a second time, some of it worked but info has been lost in the ether. On the upside the info can be typed in. Will try another headset just in case it is me. It looks like a good app.

Hi jenkinsbrynmair,

Apologies for the ignorance but can you explain "tourette's beekeeping" so I can respond if the beenotes app supports it? Does it have to do with voice recognition?

Vicki

Hi Vicki

ignore Jenkins he was just being silly. Tourettes is a neurological disorder that causes tics, the one that most people in the UK think about is uncontrolled swearing.

Info about it can be read here if your interested
http://www.tourettes-action.org.uk/

Hi Vicki

ignore Jenkins he was just being silly. Tourettes is a neurological disorder that causes tics, the one that most people in the UK think about is uncontrolled swearing.

Info about it can be read here if your interested ...

:)

Yes, I know about Tourettes...but I was wondering if it's some jargon I'm missing.

Thanks for the clarification!

Vicki

Can you tell me why you are closing the app down please?

Latest posts

Back