VMD Staff inspection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpearce4

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
a few more than last year but still not enough
I had an unannounced visit this week from the VMD to check my honey in hive by taking a sample.

I am very annoyed Beekeeper, I was not told that they would be visiting, in fact I was told they were from APHA watching how the Bee inspector was doing her job, quote "bean counters out to see what a bee inspector does" and when I was told who they were I was still told that they were there just to watch her, but they kept asking me questions about what I sell, where I sell and the such. I was asked what treatments I use and they asked if I have a record sheet they could see, well no as I wasn't told they would be coming so didn't bring it with me to the inspection, who would?

I was told at the end of it they were testing for products that were atmospheric and not what I treat with. Not sure I believe this after all that happened on the day, I'm not worried atm about product I have used on my hives as last year I didn't do any treatments due to other life things getting in the way, which I'm glad about.

I have a question of the Bee farmer members on here. How many of you use the home made treatments like the thymol treatments on here? I do but after the visit I feel a bit less confident about using them any more as I don't like being given **** by people that have legal powers over me.

If that happened to me I'd welcome them to my home apiary (where I have no bees )but politely explain I'd have to get permission from the land owners to take them to any out apiaries. Nonsense of course but would mess up the situation enough to spoil their jobs for the boy's outing and be a bit more polite and give some warning next time.
I thought in the new spirit of cooperation your sbi wouldn't have been too happy with the vmd piggybacking.

Home made thymol treatments are indistinguishable from legal thymol treatments with regard to residues they can detect.

Home made thymol treatments are indistinguishable from legal thymol treatments with regard to residues they can detect.

That's good news. but what about the paperwork.

I spose I could buy enough correct product for 10% of the hives and then do the paperwork for them but just leave the hive numbers blank.

As an SBI I did a honey sample last week on a beefarmer. Asked if I could before I visited and just filled half a jar, filled in the paperwork, left a copy with the beek and sent it off to the VMD. We all get tasked to do 1 per season and select a friendly beek to provide it.

As an SBI I did a honey sample last week on a beefarmer. Asked if I could before I visited and just filled half a jar, filled in the paperwork, left a copy with the beek and sent it off to the VMD. We all get tasked to do 1 per season and select a friendly beek to provide it.

I wouldn't have minded but I wasn't asked in advance. I will mind her coming on my sites from now on with the way I have been treated by her this season.

I have lost a lot of respect for her.

I had the same thing last year I was asked if I agreed but was shocked when about 1/2 lb was taken and a large sample of bees but on the flip side I now have a nice letter to say that my honey has no medicine residues in it, I did gain a new customer who requested this as they use my honey as an ingredient in speciality sausages. That SBI retired from the job shortly after.

I had a positive experience 3 seasons ago - the inspector phoned beforehand to say he had to do a random residue sample, did I mind - and we have a good working relationship anyway, I always tell him to go and inspect any apiary he wants or needs to... or did before DASH.

Regarding the records, shouldn't it be per-colony rather than per-treatment... i.e. you can show that hives 57 or 123 or whatever received a specific treatment at a specific time?

I always keep per colony record as I do not generally use any treatment, Apart from oxalic in January but have used MAQS on occasion. The afore mentioned SBI I have bought quite a few nucs from and which most of my colony's have been bred from, But I had one that failed due to chalkbrood and was promised a replacement that has never appeared due to don't remember/are you sure/ oh yes but I will only replace the queen. Now that really wound me up as I would replace any of mine that were not good enough.

Back