Viruses in poly nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domino

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
'elo,

I've got a few poly nucs sitting in my garden waiting to be cleaned, I leant them to a friend and last season his colonies took a pounding from CBPV. Typically with poly nucs I scrap off the wax etc and clean the insides with spray bleach which I assume kills off pretty much everything.

Unfortunately, although I have a Twitter unlike many on the platform it's not made me an overnight expert in viruses - my question is given they've sat outside over the winter, with no bees and I'm going to clean them as described do I need to worry about them carrying over CBPV?

He did suggest I soak them in a bath of bleach, but I don't have a container large enough and don't really want to buy one.

'elo,

I've got a few poly nucs sitting in my garden waiting to be cleaned, I leant them to a friend and last season his colonies took a pounding from CBPV. Typically with poly nucs I scrap off the wax etc and clean the insides with spray bleach which I assume kills off pretty much everything.

Unfortunately, although I have a Twitter unlike many on the platform it's not made me an overnight expert in viruses - my question is given they've sat outside over the winter, with no bees and I'm going to clean them as described do I need to worry about them carrying over CBPV?

He did suggest I soak them in a bath of bleach, but I don't have a container large enough and don't really want to buy one.
I'm no expert but I reckon a good dosing with Cillit Bang will kill anything short of bubonic plague ... leave it on for an hour or so and rinse off...

I'm no expert but I reckon a good dosing with Cillit Bang will kill anything short of bubonic plague ... leave it on for an hour or so and rinse off...
Yep! I spray mine if I need to and leave overnight outside then rinse off.

Latest posts

Back