Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

domino 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
'elo,

I've got a few poly nucs sitting in my garden waiting to be cleaned, I leant them to a friend and last season his colonies took a pounding from CBPV. Typically with poly nucs I scrap off the wax etc and clean the insides with spray bleach which I assume kills off pretty much everything.

Unfortunately, although I have a Twitter unlike many on the platform it's not made me an overnight expert in viruses - my question is given they've sat outside over the winter, with no bees and I'm going to clean them as described do I need to worry about them carrying over CBPV?

He did suggest I soak them in a bath of bleach, but I don't have a container large enough and don't really want to buy one.

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I’ve had CBPV and a simple clean with bleach is fine. IMO

pargyle 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
'elo,

I've got a few poly nucs sitting in my garden waiting to be cleaned, I leant them to a friend and last season his colonies took a pounding from CBPV. Typically with poly nucs I scrap off the wax etc and clean the insides with spray bleach which I assume kills off pretty much everything.

Unfortunately, although I have a Twitter unlike many on the platform it's not made me an overnight expert in viruses - my question is given they've sat outside over the winter, with no bees and I'm going to clean them as described do I need to worry about them carrying over CBPV?

He did suggest I soak them in a bath of bleach, but I don't have a container large enough and don't really want to buy one.
I'm no expert but I reckon a good dosing with Cillit Bang will kill anything short of bubonic plague ... leave it on for an hour or so and rinse off...

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I'm no expert but I reckon a good dosing with Cillit Bang will kill anything short of bubonic plague ... leave it on for an hour or so and rinse off...
Yep! I spray mine if I need to and leave overnight outside then rinse off.

Latest posts