Virtual Hive Pictures

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike a

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Between 17-20
My association has a virtual hive used for talks in schools and members of the public. Each picture has been printed on to a sheet of correx and fitted into a 14x12 frame. I managed to get hold of the pictures and uploaded them to share. Each picture has been labelled for example f1a and f1b to make it easier to pair up the correct pictures for each frame. No prizes for spotting the queen but you will need a keen eye to see her even though she has been marked "GREEN"

To see the complete set go to

https://picasaweb.google.com/mikesbeekeeping/VirtualHive#

The down side of putting them online this way is they have been resized, but if you want to download them click here. File size is about 78 Meg.
I have used a program called winzip which you will need to open the file. Download their free software by clicking winzip which I have linked to their download page.
I will see if I can upload them full size to the forums album.

My association has something similar, and it's a really good tool when you're new and curious. They have theirs printed on paper, then stuck on to 3mm ply pinned to each side of the frame- feels nicely 3- dimensional.

PS I didn't see the queen, but I have only just got up!

Thank you very much for these!!

My association has something similar, and it's a really good tool when you're new and curious. They have theirs printed on paper, then stuck on to 3mm ply pinned to each side of the frame- feels nicely 3- dimensional.

PS I didn't see the queen, but I have only just got up!

She is there, find her, [between 10 and 13]:)

these are great but my dumb machine wont download zip file. Any idea why? :.(

these are great but my dumb machine wont download zip file. Any idea why? :.(

Sorry, the link isn't working at the moment as I am currently in the middle of changing our website host provider. Hopefully it will be back up in a week or two.

Just to add my thanks. No point in us all reinventing the wheel and it does help to give some understanding of the hive when letting them loose in a real hive is not possible.
Let us know when the download link is working again.

Tricia

Sorry for the delay the new website took a little longer to set up than I had hoped. The file is about 74 meg in total. 22 pictures labelled to make it easier to match up which two pictures make up one frame.
Hoping the forum won't block this url over time http://www.fdbka.co.uk/vhpic.zip
or
http://tinyurl.com/cpr4697

The queen is there, takes awhile to find her as she's not marked.

If you want to know which frame she is on highlight the text below.
F6a.jpg

Apologises to all those looking at the wrong picture I meant to say picture number given below but you will probably need to highlight it to see it.

> F5a.jpg

Your welcome, I hope they are useful as a training aid for new bee keepers or the general public. My association has the pictures printed on correx sheets and inserted into frames and we take the hive to shows and events we hold.

A bit like a Where's Wally? competition except she is dressed almost the same as every other character!

At the risk of sounding slightly picky, a series of photographs like this shows what the inside of a hive looks like but it is not necessarily the perfect tool for teaching beekeepers what to look for - other than running a Spot The Queen competition.

What you really need is an additional set where most of the bees have been shaken off the frames - because the only way to check for disease in comb is to do just that - take the bees away. You won't see sunken cappings through a layer of bees and of course if you are trying to show the typical structure of a hive and how the brood sits in relation to stores and pollen taking the bees away helps a lot.

Maybe someone should make a virtual hive where the bees were a magnetic layer over the comb. The bees could then be removed to see the actual cappings. There could also be layers of bees with various deformities that could be placed on the comb. However I think the virtual hive in its present state is a wonderful teaching aid.

Hi, I wonder if these are still available, I'm visiting a school next week. Many thanks.

Really old topic but does anyone have the pictures still available? Thornes used to sell the Virtual Hive but is no longer on their site.
Mike was my mentor in the very early days - he gave me my first bees ... He gave up beekeeping some years ago to concentrate on his business. I might have a set of them in an old laptop - if I can find the I'll post them. I haven't heard from Mike for some years but if I can't find the pictures I'll try and get in touch.

Latest posts

Back