Virgin queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOBY-3652

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I artificially swarmed a hive on the 28th of april i put a qc in a hive on frame and i also did the same in a nuc. These were sealed on the 3rd of may. On the 13th may i could see under open mesh floor that 1 cell had a hinge so i presume had hatched. How long should i wait before looking for eggs and what to do if no no eggs???? And also i have another hive that i was sure no queen in so put a frame with eggs in it 1 week ago looked today and no queen cell at all just brood that they have capped// does this mea there is a queen in it ???

If it was me I would give them one more week and then take a look others may say longer.

No queen cells on your test frame will suggest that hive has a queen. So why did you think this hive was q-

no queen cell at all just brood that they have capped// does this mea there is a queen in it ???

No. A good indication, but not definitive.

RAB

i have exactly the same scenario with nearly exactly the same dates,looked in both hives today and no sign of eggs,i'll give it a week or two yet to see,with all this bad and unsettled weather am guessing its put any queens off the the chance of getting out and getting mated...time i'll tell.
Darren.

According to Yates queens require a temperature of 20C for their nuptial flight(s).

Some time since many of us have seen 20C.

This cold snap has set everything back after a great start to the season.

I'm waiting for two colonies to start showing eggs, seems an eternity.

5-20 days after emerging but I don't know if adverse weather can extend this period.

Nature hates waste so I would like to think she has a contingency plan up her sleeve and gives an extra few days grace under such conditions.

I'm talking about Apis mellifera mellifera.

I'm in the same boat. All split on 25th/26th April. Inspected today and not an egg in any of them.

If you had an open cell which you left on the 28th of April, and it took a further three days to seal, plus 8 to hatch why are you surprised at no brood yet?

Lick pencil and mark calendar. ;)

PH

Lick pencil and mark calendar. ;)

PH

Pencil licked. :)
Cell capped on 30th so expected hatch date 7/8 May
3 weeks on is tomorrow and for the whole of May the temperature hasn't risen above 15˚ and there has been no more than the odd hour of sunshine accompanied by gale force winds.
My angst is less at the non appearance of eggs, as you say .....not surprising but more at the lack of conditions for that nuptial flight.

PH, what's the longest time you've known a virgin take to mate?

Me to got 5 nucs all hatched 4 weeks ago no eggs seen the the queens all small dont think they are going to be any good now. I have done some grafts today so I will know for shaw by the time these have been capped.

I had a capped queen cell on fri 28th April. Had a quick **** today, found a new queen laying away, little different to my others with a bright yellow band. A full four weeks to start laying.

Me to got 5 nucs all hatched 4 weeks ago no eggs seen the the queens all small dont think they are going to be any good now. I have done some grafts today so I will know for shaw by the time these have been capped.

Ditto. Although I have nearer 25.

It seems that many are in the same boat this year!

as a bit of an aside....

Due to colony repeatedly making queen cells - I split the hive on 16th May, leaving one capped (yes capped!) queen cell. Inspecting the hive today, I expected to see the cell hinged open, but to my surprise, there are now 5 capped Q cells and 1 uncapped. As the original queen is now in the other hive, there are no eggs or brood in this hive left. The queen cells must have been developed from eggs already laid, surely, or am I missing something? I note that virgin queen emerging and then mating will take time - but what happens if this fails - how long have the bees got before the colony goes into serious decline? Is there anything else I should be doing?

Latest posts

Back