Virgin queen introduction to a full feisty hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
24 + a few nucs....this has to stop!
I have had to dispatch a mated queen from a feisty lot today. I have 2 options opened to me but not sure which has slightly more chances of succeding:

- introducing 2 frames of brood with a mated queen in the middle tomorrow(I may cage her for added peace of mind

- waiting 8 days until hopelessly quenless and introducing a virgin as I have a batch due to emerge at the right time.

Thoughts please (buying in an imported buckie or carnie not considered 😉).

You laughed to my 15 different options to introduce a queen, and now you ask help.

To wait 8 days is strange. When the colony has capped its emergency cells, it accepts very well a new queen.

I would introduce the mated laying queen in a cage, and keep the tab on the cage for a couple of days. Even better would be under a push-in cage for 4 days. Having said that, I did that a couple of weeks ago and they killed her. Then I destroyed their queen cells and gave them a queen cell from my cell builder in a plastic cell protector. I've done the push in cage way successfully many times, but nothing works every time.

I would have usually given them a frame of eggs from a chosen colony and let them raise a new queen from it but as I have a 3 frames nuc with a spare queen from an A/S and virgins soon to emerge I wanted to see if I could speed up the process.

When the colony has capped its emergency cells, it accepts very well a new queen.
Whenever I have had a queen killed on introduction it has been because they had made EQcs from brood present.

Someone asked what methods you used and you refused to say, so I think it's fair to assume that jeff33 is not directing this question at you.
It was very directly . No doubt. He wondered, how much I have bought mated queens to find these tricks.

It was very directly . No doubt. He wondered, how much I have bought mated queens to find these tricks.
@Finman this question is not directed at you, I am asking for thoughts and opinions. I poked at you in the other thread as you put a bold statement of 15 methods but never came up with what they are. Sorry if you were offended, wasn't meant to be.

[QUOTE="jeff33, post: 825066, member:

I poked at you in the other thread as you put a bold statement of 15 methods but never came up with what they are.
[/QUOTE]

And I should start to write to you those bold methods....

Somebody started to poke about my idea to buy a mated queen. You said that queen buying is only thing what I know about beekeeping. When you get from one beehive 400 lbs honey, send me a greeting.

You think that I am some kind of joke in this forum. I am tired many such guys here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back